• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimmed my fenders :D (PICS)

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
Wow, that's nerve racking... But I think overall they turned out nice. I'm gonna pick up some door molding for the edges, kragen was out of stock on the roles.

Anyway, pics:

DSCF2921.jpg

DSCF2922.jpg

DSCF2923.jpg

Oh shit... Don't do this!!! :laugh:

DSCF2928.jpg

Finished:

DSCF2935.jpg

DSCF2944.jpg

DSCF2945.jpg

DSCF2946.jpg

I was going to do the fold on the rear, but as I did it noticed the paint flaking and cracking. I didn't want this, so eff it, I'll deal with the separation. You'll never notice once the trim is on :D

Overall I'm happy. And big thanks to Justin for letting me use the saw, Frankie for stupidvising and helping me wrench, Rambo for parts running and Larry Turner for providing the garage!!! Thanks :NAXJA:

Also, as for the washer reservior... As rambo said, "It's not a NAXJA party without a fire, a whoops, or a leak" :laugh: :woohoo:

crazyjim said:
Also, as for the washer reservior... As rambo said, "It's not a NAXJA party without a fire, a whoops, or a leak" :laugh: :woohoo:
lol.gif
lol.gif

Well.... ya got 2 out of 3 anyway.
laughingsmiley.gif

Should have pulled the bottle and burnt it for the fire part.
icon12.gif

Looks good.
What kind of saw did ya use?
I plan on doing mine whenever I get the nerve to do it.
Iam only gonna go to where the little "flair" comes off the fender, right above the holes on the front though.

drifto77 said:
lol.gif
lol.gif

Well.... ya got 2 out of 3 anyway.
laughingsmiley.gif

Should have pulled the bottle and burnt it for the fire part.
icon12.gif

Looks good.
What kind of saw did ya use?
I plan on doing mine whenever I get the nerve to do it.
Iam only gonna go to where the little "flair" comes off the fender, right above the holes on the front though.
:laugh: yes, we did indeed get 2/3 of them.

I used an air powered body saw, worked GREAT! Cuts like butter, just keep it flowing slow and easy.

I trimmed up to the scratch my flare left in the paint :laugh: on the front, and only to the lip in the rear.

It's all down hill from there :D

dscn2391vw3.jpg

crazyjim said:
I used an air powered body saw, worked GREAT! Cuts like butter, just keep it flowing slow and easy.
Cool, I'll have to see if I can "borrow" one somewhere.
All I have a jig saw, a hack saw and a chain saw.
Maybe I should start with the chain saw. Get the "whoops" out of the way right off the bat.
laughingsmiley.gif

We've got a lot of members around dallas that I bet would be willing to help out.

Yup.....
Iam 63 miles north of there.
Iam here too...
http://www.lonestarjeepclub.org/

Never done it before.
Iam pretty sure I can do it though.
Best way to learn is.... jump right in and just do it.

BUT...
I'll prob post up when Iam ready to trim, just not real sure I wanna go it alone.
Dont want to have to replace a F'ed up fender.

Didnt realize you were that far north, nothing to it, but thought someone might have a grinder to use, though a chainsaw would be fun.

Grinder and a cutoff wheel work great.

No cut off wheel. Just thought I could follow the line with a jig better if the fender dont jump/vibrate too much.

smilies-1774.png

Last edited:
I would think a jigsaw might dance around a bit, so I used a Makita 4.5" grinder and just scored the line I wanted, then followed it through on the second pass. It came out clean, didn't bounce around at all, and was handy for smoothhing the edges a scoshe after the unneeded sheet metal was off.

It is one of those "can't take it back" mods, but if you research, take your time, and focus on doing a nice job, it'll be fine.

i really dig the wheels... i've seen WAY too many 15x10s on smaller jeeps. i just put (icons) and 265 BFGs on mine, i love the "tucked" look. good job on the trimming. and don't worry about the reservoir leak, i did the same thing mounting some TJ flares on a cherokee once!

z_lindig said:
i really dig the wheels... i've seen WAY too many 15x10s on smaller jeeps. i just put (icons) and 265 BFGs on mine, i love the "tucked" look. good job on the trimming. and don't worry about the reservoir leak, i did the same thing mounting some TJ flares on a cherokee once!
Yea, mine are 15x7's, I like that look. I'll be running 33x10.50's soon, don't really want to go wider. I like the 10.50's for the go fast stuff :D

As for the water bottle, I laughed my ass off when I did it, and just used it as blade coolant lol. I'll just plastic weld it when I get a chance.

An older model reservoir will fit under the hood and allow you to trim more.

I know they are under the hood, not sure what side.

i already cut and folded the rear and plan on doing the front soon. i can see myself doing that with the resevoir. good to know, i'll be careful. i plan on using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and basically doing the same thing. i just haven't gotten around to it yet. school will do that to ya. looks good though!

Back