• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE or no?

Camo-5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok sorry for all the questions, but it's build time!!!

I'm putting on a 3.5"RE lift with full leaf packs on my 97XJ next week. I have 1.5" Terraflex shackles and .75" RE coil spacers. I think I should be able to get away with 3.5" with only a tc drop kit, but will I need to go to a SYE when I move up to 5"? What's everyone's experience?

I plan on running 245/75/R16s on Moab's, so 3.5" should be enough to clear, but I'm thinking, what the heck? While I have it apart go and extra 1" or so! I do plan on hauling around my M416 offroad trailer and other goodies in teh back. That's why I'm going an extra .75" in the rear. I hate a saggy rear end....

thanks!

you have a 97+, which is more prone to vibes. Even more so if you have the 8.25 rear.

SYE is always the way to go......

JNickel101 said:
you have a 97+, which is more prone to vibes. Even more so if you have the 8.25 rear.

SYE is always the way to go......

X2

I am very happy with my Tom Wood's setup.

I would also recommend a SYE. From what I've read, the RE 3.5 kits usually come closer to 5" in actual lift anyway. A Hack'n'Tap can be completed with a front driveshaft for usually under $200.

I did the PORC SYE ($162.99 on sale) and a very nice junk yard front DS ($26.00) with all spicer joints for under $200.

You're going to need it at that hight, plan it into your budget.

And now for the opposing view.

I have a 98' with a Rustys 1" drop crossmember, 1.5" shackles and 3.5" springs in the rear. 4.5" in the front + 1 stock isolator. No SYE. No Vibes.

I started lifting this unit with a 3" lift and asked the same exact question this fellow did, and got the same exact pat answers. I looked at the DS angles and fixed the problem with some shims under the cross member bolts to get me a good alignment.
After a while, that old crossmember looked pretty sad, so I replace it with the Rusty's piece.

Just took it up to 4.5", no vibes. DS angles are within a degree and there is a good amount of engagement when the rear suspension is in droop.

Just depends how you skin the cat. A SYE at 3.5" is likely not needed. Watch your DS angles, and engagement of the slip joint, and your golden. The 1.5" shackle should reduce the pinion/ DS angle, and a drop kit will reduce the T-Case/ DS angle. They sell shims; don't buy aluminum or pot metal, get steel.

Don't missunderstand, SYE's are not a waste of time by any means, I just think most folks who don't need one have them because they didn't do their homework and took the pat answer everyone gives to "fix" the problem.

Ron

Back