• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 xj swap from manual door mirrors to power

ninobrn99

NAXJA Forum User
what is needed in order to do the swap? I have all manual everything and want power! Is there a harness in tact or will i have to build my own? I did a search, but just saw that newer models fit. No how to on the wiring.

On our '93 the switches for the mirrors are on the center console. I'm assuming you won't have those, so of course you'll have to run some wiring and install switches. Unless of course there are door-mounted switch options.

Ignoring the switches, there should only be five or six wires (one common splits to go to each window). The remaining 4 are up/down, on set for each side.

ninobrn99 said:
what is needed in order to do the swap? I have all manual everything and want power! Is there a harness in tact or will i have to build my own? I did a search, but just saw that newer models fit. No how to on the wiring.

You'd have to check your body harness to see if the pigtails are there for electric mirrors - in my case, my '92 didn't have them. I got my harness connectors from someone parting out their truck, and have them stashed with a bunch of wire, ready to put together into its own separate harness.

I did up a wiring schematic for my '92 (it's at home) based on the FSM, but it's not too bad - three wires to each mirror (U/D, L/R, GND) from the switch, and (+) and (-) from switch to somewhere you can get 12V from. Up vs. down is a matter of polarity (same for left and right). The two GND lines to the mirrors go to a common contact on the switch.

Now all I have to do is build and test the harness, and then install that and the mirrors themselves...

ok. I found a 94 locally that has power mirrors. Ill try to get the mirrors, switch, and connectors. I could plug them into the fuse box couldnt i? In the acc slot for a 12v pwr supply or should i splice into a pink wire?

There is a harness attached to the pwr/w harness. You need this, it connects both mirrors to the console mounted switch. You can run pwr mirrors alone if you want . Each mirror has a pig tail, then main harness going to switch and power. When I added pwr/w/locks , my harness did not have mirror harness. I added them later.

You can plug them in anywhere. Mine are hot all the time, as are windows, locks and seats .

I have a block in the pass kick panel because I have 12gu wire going to my windows and pwr/lock relays. Coming from a fuse in eng compart from the Batt.

Forgot to mention that the pwr/w/locks get there ground from the speaker wire harness going to the drivers door. So If you run new speaker wire you need to re-connect that black wie. When you look at the harness you'll see it has 2 ground wires.

Back