• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimming the rear

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Well, Ive read all the writeups on trimming the rear fenders. I don't want to cut and fold, and Im avoiding reattaching the rear flares until the law tells me to. I don't need the clearance, so here's the plan.

I am thinking I can trim up to the pinch welds, which is just up to the factory holes. Then, if I put a piece of tape over the hole, and use a bit of body filler I think I can fill the holes. Then, if I use bedliner like I am planning, the holes will dissappear. Any reason why this wouldn't hold up?

DO it right and weld it back up. Even though you may not cut the pinch weld, you really should weld the holes shut.

Tape flexes and with filler over tape, it WILL crack and that would ruin a paint job....

Im preparing for the same, no 'cut and fold'. I'm just sick of maintaining the flares. I dont think I will have a problem with johnny law, but intend on doing the same cut leaving the holes. One cause I rarely see a 'good' cut and fold, two I dont need much more room, and it will leave me the option of re-installing the flares if needed.
Leaving the holes leaves just enough space to apply 5/8's Protekto trim just under the top 'metal flare'/stamp. I picked up a box from DPGoffroad. Once the new bumper is finished painted(should be tonight) and cures a couple days(supposed to rain anyway) I will be cutting up the fenders, should be Friday/Sat. Everything is pretty much here and ready, just need some weather and time.

A trim strip will be an option if I can source some locally. But how will the bolt holes, filled with a filler and coated inside and out with bedliner, flex and crack? Just curious. If I was going to weld, I would cut above the pinch and get some 35s.

Does anyone know if any of the big parts stores carry some 5/8" trim that would work well for this? Or has anyone tried just filling and lining over the holes?

The cut and fold can look very nice if you take your time. I've seen them done almost perfectly clean, and mine came out with only minimal creasing along the fold line. I would be loathe to cut into the pinch seam, you screw it up and you open up a whole new can of worms.

I would go to the parts store and get some nylon plugs.

They look like this:

obsm_24.jpg

and I bet nobody but you would know they are there. As an added bonus, if the law makes you put the flares back on, you just pop the plugs out and you dont have to re-drill.

Here's a picture of them on my old Mustang, I used them to fill the holes when I took the spoiler off, painted them to match the car.

wingless4.jpg

I'm currently running a couple on the Jeep to plug some screw ups when I drilled to raise my fenders.

I will have to see if I can find some plugs, thats exactly the kind of thing Im talking about.

Again, I can't risk trapping the rust more with a cut and fold, plus I don't have the time/tools to make it come out right. And Im NOT trimming above the pinch seam, only up to it. I don't need the clearance, my 32's fit just about right. Im just trying to beat the rust back and keep it cosmetically clean, so Im less likely to get pulled over for it.

Home Depot, Lowes, and Do It Center all carry them, around 40 cents a piece.

Thanks, I will check there tomorrow. If not VIP has trim plugs, headliner plugs, etc that will work as well.

Back