• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine rattle in front of my 4.0

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
This just started 2 days ago. It sounds like something is rattling and increases with RPM's. I checked for an exhaust leak, loose spark plug, loose pulley/fan, fan hitting shroud, etc and everything checks out. If you put your ear in front of the radiator the rattle sounds like it is coming from right in the middle (water pump area). The water pump is only about 4,000mi old. When the hood is up and I give it a little gas it is a pretty loud rattle. Any thoughts? Could this be a timing chain issue? Or something else internal on the front of the engine? Oil pressure is good, etc, everything looks normal except the rattle.

Thanks
Brian

have u taken ur belt off and wiggeled each pully, or could be bearings, check each pully, for play.

I haven't taken the belt off yet but I will check that, thanks. Im working and typing with one hand (working on the 65 left me with 6 stitches in my knuckle) so I may have to wait to pull the belt until I have another set of hands. Any other suggestions/options appreciated.

Brian

when u get the belt off and cant find a problem, start the engine, and if u still hear it the its internal.

Back