• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Howlin D35

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
I cashed my pinion seal on my D35, which lead to a loud squeeking sound for a few secs, then a howling noise on acceleration.

So this yesterday morning I started to take it apart. I got the shafts and spiders out. the axle bearings by the drum brakes look good[no pitting or anything]. I didnt get too far cause I had to go to work at 1:30, and I started at 11:30. Twas real easy to take apart so far. I'll try taking the pinion out tomorrow. For that all i have to do is take out the carrier[inspect those bearings], undo the driveshaft, undo the pinion nut, and then pull out the pinion through the back. I think thats how it should go.

Pass side
dana1.jpg

Pass side axle bearing
dana3.jpg

Drivers side axle bearing
dana2.jpg

Shafts where the axle bearing rides on
dana5.jpg

dana4.jpg

Shafts them selves
dana6.jpg

dana7.jpg

So hopefully Ill just have to replace the pinion bearing and that will cure my howling noise. If not, I might swap in another D35 cause those can be had for really cheap.

I was a howling noise, not rubbing.... I put it all back together and used an electric impact and put the pinion nut on with that. so hopefully that snugged everything up, I have yet to road test it cause I didnt have enough gear lube. If that doesnt solve the problem, I'm gonna look the howling noise being from the output of the transfer case.....

well my front diff??? howls when im in 4wd and when the hubs are locked. so i think its the shaft ends apparently there is a plastic thingy that rubs. but id doesn't bother me that much.

Back