• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone explain BPEs?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
So I'll be replacing my rear shocks, I already have them out. I didnt break any bolts but I've heard reccommnedations for BPEs. I know what they are but can someone explain why to get them? It looks like they still mount the same way, but allow the shock to be changed without removing the actual bolt to frame mount, is that correct?

And what do you do about shock length, since they change that somehow?

Finally, I will be doing an OME lift down the road, is it true that BPEs dont work with OME shocks?

Thanks

OME shocks come with bar pins pressed into the bushing - they are molded around the bar pin, so its harder now to make them work. you can just press the whole thing out and get new bushings....the old ones, you could actually just push the bar pin out and use a washer on either side to fill in the gaps

BPEs "preload" the shock bushing, helps their lifespan, prevents "binding" so to speak, and eliminates that sort of crunching noise...

Depending on the type of BPE you get, you can remove the shock w/o removing the frame mount - but ones like JKS BPEs, you have to remove the frame mount still.

Never tried their version - however, RR is notorious for terrible customer service and shipping...

Cool! The TeraFlex are even better in price. There seems to be some controversy in terms of them messing up shocks... Do you have an opinion either way? (Sorry for hi-jacking!) I also noticed Rusty's has them - although they are priced close to the JKS.

messing up shocks??? how so? Never heard anything bad about BPEs...

EDIT: I run the JKS ones and I've never had a problem with them...

Last edited:
JeepDawg said:
Are there other brands besides JKS and Rocky Road BPEs? How are the RockyRoads? They are considerably less expensive.
I got the Rocky Road BPEs about 2-3 yrs ago and they didn't fit. They were so far off that we couldn't even drill/cut/fab them out to make em work. I called Rocky Road and they basically said too bad, we know they're good. If I had wanted to pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee, I could've gotten a refund of the $20 I paid above the cost of the regular boost kit. Recommend to stay away from them...

I have RockyRoads. They were surprisingly beefier than I had thought they'd be. I've bought shackles (which I later sold), ACOS and BPE's from them. I've never had any complaints about service or shipping. I bought them through ebay from them. I guess they're not willing to give up the ebay feedback rating. Haven't needed anything from them for awhile now so I haven't checked. Not hearing good stuff about them on this forum lately.

...I love my BPE's (and the fact that I don't have to worry about the little bolts anymore) but I had to cut and press out the barpins on my shocks and replace the bushings with new ones on all 4 shocks.

I dealt direct with them from their website. I'm not impressed by them. Still got the shackles and spacers.The shackles are super beefy. No complaints about them or the spacers. But the service I received and the non-fitting BPEs are enough to keep me away from them...unless I get a Tracker again, that 6" Rockfather lift they're doin looks like it'll be great...
Maybe they've improved on service since I dealt with em.

THe main reason people buy Bar Pin Eliminators is for the ease of finding shocks. You have a greater selection when buying shocks if you have the eliminators and it is easier to change them with the bar pin eliminators. I personnally think its a waste of money to save a few minutes and a few dollars putting shocks on. I run the Skyjacker 8000 Nitros so they are expensive anyway and come with new bar pins.

I bought a budget boost (2") from Rocky Road that included BPE's and I'm satisfied with the products recieved and the service they provided. The shackles are nice and beefy, the BPE's needed a little "fitting" to get them to bolt up to the front axle mounting positions, but hey, if you can't run a cutoff wheel on a grinder you shouldn't be doing suspension stuff yourself.

I don't know how to post pics, but I put the kit on a 97 after replacing springs on all four corners with factory new stuff, the jeep sits nice, put some 31's on it and it's a good looking package.

My two cents,

Mark

Back