• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tim's Bday Run Memorial

88xjlover

NAXJA Forum User
I know it's a little late for planning but me and a bunch of crazy's are heading to Naches for Memorial for my Bday. I'll be there (Little Naches Rd, one of the campgrounds off of 410) during the week before memorial to get a good spot.
Join the fun!
I am also planning a fishing trip up to bumping lake since the rivers aren't open yet.
Who's in?

The higher elevation trails are sure to be buried in snow. Have fun, stay on the trail.

fubar XJ said:
The higher elevation trails are sure to be buried in snow. Have fun, stay on the trail.

Yeah I hope we can still get through alot of trails.
I'm trying to get the jeep alignment ready for towing the tent trailer up there. It apears to have about 1* castor.:scared:
No wonder it drifts all over the place.
This will be the 1st time towing with the wheeler but the heater in the trailer will be worth it.

well your going to need to change your plans. Naches is closed for Memorial day.

Heres the letter:

NACHES RANGER IDSTRICT RECREATION REPORT
May 13, 2008
District Ranger Randy Shepard
Naches Ranger Station phone number 1-509-653-1400

OFFICE HOURS: Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Ranger Station foyer is open 24 hours a day for forest information free to the public during non-business hours. Other forest information can be found on kiosks bulletin boards in front of the Ranger Station

SPRING HIKES: With warmer, sunny days the urge to go hiking is almost
overwhelming. The only draw back so far this year has been snow, especially at higher elevations. Now that temperatures are on the rise runoff is the big concern. Rivers rise, trails become wet n muddy, and the possibility of undermining along stream banks increases creating extremely hazardous conditions for hikers.
The best hikes are in the Yakima Cannon, Cowiche Canyon, Bear Creek Canyon (just off U.S. Highway 12), and Edgar Rock behind Old River road off State Route 410. If you’re interested in Bear Creek or Edgar Rock please stop by and visit the ranger station foyer or call.
Go prepared for ticks and a good possibility of seeing snakes, especially if temperatures increase substantially over the course of the week.

BOULDER CAVE: Boulder Cave is by far one of the top areas for forest visitors to tour during the year. The parking area is operated by Northwest Land Management, a concessionaire under contract with the Forest Service. They charge $5.00 per vehicle and $15.00 per bus for parking which includes use of the facilities and access to the trail leading to the cave.
Even though the cave is open, visitors need to use extreme caution when hiking to, through and out of the cave. Ice and snow are still present and create very unstable conditions for hiking, especially through and out of the cave to the upper trail. The safest time to hike the cave without fears of high water from spring thaw, muddy trails, snow and ice, not to mention falling rocks, is mid to late may. If you have questions please call the Naches Ranger Station.

MOST ASKED QUESTIONS: As spring fast approaches and the weather warms up people like to ask lots of questions of frontliners. On the Naches Ranger District the following questions are asked the most, so to help get the word out here are the questions and answers.
Question of the week?
Can I use my Washington State parking permit to launch my boat at Forest Service boat launches?
Answer: No, the only passes you can use are federal passes. You can use the following; Golden Age or Access, Interagency Senior or Access, Northwest Forest Pass, Interagency Annual.

OFF HIGHWAY VEHICLES (OHV’S):
Will the bike and 4x4 trails be open for Memorial Day? Answer: No, as it appears now many of the higher elevation trails will be under snow and many mid elevation trails will be extremely muddy from runoff. With the possibility of higher temperatures on the horizon runoff will be the highest concern. For the Memorial Day weekend forest patrols will be extended to deal with mudding issues across the forest.

WOODCUTTING:

* Do you have any new woodcutting areas? Answer: No, they are the same as in the past. You can only cut in designated areas indicated on the map you are given at the time you purchase your permit.
* If there’s a green tree across the road can we cut it? Answer: No, you must go by the rules and cut only dead trees.
* How much does my pick up carry? Answer: That depends on the size of your pick up and if you have stake sides. A ¾ ton with stack sides can easily carry a cord, possibly more and requires 2 tags. Keep in mind a cord is 4x4x8.
* Do I have to split my wood? Answer: Yes, You have to split it at least once, no rounds.
* Can we cut a down tree if it still has green on it? Answer: Absolutely not unless issued a special permit as we did last year due to the numerous wind falls. This is not likely to be the case this year.
* Why do I need a splitting wavier? Answer: Everyone would get a waiver if they thought they could cut wood at home. The law states the wood must be split at least once unless you have a medical release.

CAMPGROUNDS:

* Are the campgrounds open? Answer: No, crews are working on danger trees and cleanup.
* Where can we go camping? Answer: You can camp in established dispersed areas as long as you pack out what you pack in.
* Is my Golden Age pass still good? Answer: Yes, the program is still the same the only change was in the name which is now Interagency Senior pass.

FISH AND WILDLIFE:

* Where can we go fishing? Answer: You can call the WSDFW at 509-575-2740 for the most accurate information.
* Can we fish in Clear Lake? Answer: Yes, the boat launch has been cleared however debris will float in with the wind and could create some problems. If you run into a lot of debris please call the ranger station.

MUSHROOMS:

* Are the morels out yet? Answer: Reports are no one is finding any yet. If they are they normally keep them secret.
* Do you have a map of areas you burned last year? Answer: No, you’ll need to ask for the location. Basically we burned off FS road # 1500 near Devils Table.

CAMPGROUNDS: Forest Service personnel, assisted by Yakima County Corrections crews, are working to remove hazard trees and cleanup winters residue. Many of the campgrounds located at higher elevations will not likely be open for Memorial Day weekend as the result of snow. Even though higher temperatures are predicted for the coming week crews are still behind as a result of a slow spring melt off.
Campgrounds operated by Northwest Land Management (NWLM) will open as their personnel begin work and have the sites cleaned. For a list of campgrounds operated by NWLM you can refer to the list below under “Fee Increases” or stop by the ranger station and check the foyer for an up-to-date list. Campgrounds and group reservation sites require a reservation. You can call 1-877-444-6777 or by going on line to reservation.gov.

PASSES: For those planning on using the National Forest this summer you might start thinking about what pass you need. For those looking at hiking on the Naches Ranger District you need to know where you plan on going. Not all, but some of the trailheads require a Northwest Forest Pass. Those areas have many of the amenities necessary to meet the requirements for charging a trailhead fee such as picnic tables, restroom facilities, stock ramps, hitching post and established areas for camping with stock. If you’re unsure of whether or not you need a pass stop by the foyer and pick up a handout or call the ranger station.
If you have a Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife Recreation Use Permit, issued to you when you purchase hunting or fishing licenses, keep in mind it is not valid on Forest Service managed lands. If you plan on using a forest boat launch you either have to pay $5 or have a Northwest Forest Pass, America the Beautiful, Senior, or Access Pass. The Recreational Use Permit will not work.

BATS: That’s like in flying bats, not baseball bats, are out an active this time of year. After a long and difficult winter they are emerging from their hibernacula to begin a feeding frenzy, especially those with young on the way. Like any forest animal you want to be aware of their presence, but give them their leeway. You can bet their aware of you, you just need to be aware of them and respectful of their habitat.
Bats are extremely beneficial to our environment and do more for it than a lot of other mammals do. For those who are not fond of biting insects think about how many of them are devoured by bats every night.
Unfortunately they are not given the respect they deserve for many reasons, mostly old wives tales. They, like other forest animals such as skunks and raccoons, carry rabies. That alone is good reason to always be alert to your surrounds and stay clear of wild animals. If you find one dead, leave it and if you feel it could have died from natural causes, call your local health district.
Unfortunately for bats they are being stricken with a fungus that is taking a very high toll on them in areas back east killing them by the thousands. It is a white fungus disease that typically forms around their nose. It hasn’t shown up in the northwest, but that’s not to say it won’t. If you find a dead bat, don’t touch it, call the health department if it doesn’t show signs of having been killed by a predator.

CAMPFIRES: Campfires are allowed, but keep them in an established fire ring and make sure before you leave they are dead out to the touch. Although the ground appears damp doesn’t mean a fire can’t start.
FIREWOOD CUTTING: Firewood cutting on the Naches Ranger District began on Thursday May 1st. Bring your Drivers License, check or cash, no debts or credit cards are accepted. Many woodcutting areas are still closed due to snow. Unlike last year there will not be any special wood permits for cutting green trees, windfalls, like there was last year. Only dead and down trees can be cut and as for standing dead trees, ask personnel about rules pertaining to snags when you purchase a permit.

Back