• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need quick help with trailer lights / wiring...

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I'm in a 2001 XJ. Need to rent a U-Haul to move my GF's furniture.

I have an OE hitch and wiring harness which I bought from a fellow NAXJA member, but I don't see where to plug stuff in, and I can't find the grommet to pass the wiring through.

Here's the plug/wiring harness I have for the hitch:

r8yxsk.jpg

And here's what's under the rear left panel in the cargo area (I don't see any open plugs, or anything to plug the wiring harness into):

2cpddvd.jpg

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get my wiring hooked up, so I can drive down to the local U-Haul and rent a trailer? Thanks so much! :wave1:

You pics don't show up. Google the brand name of your trailer plug adapter and see if that company has any instructions online. If it is a T plug you disconnect the tail light harness (behind the drivers side cargo area trim panel) and put the trailer plug inline, then reconnect the tail light harness to the trailer plug. There is a golf ball sized plastic plug next to the tail light housing you can run the wires through.

I just went through this whole process. The square plug is your factory harness. The round plug is an aftermarket plug with 7 terminals. The terminals include accesories, battery charger (as in for a travel trailer) etc. The easiest way to figure out what goes where is with a good (DC) test light OR digital multimeter

What you need to complete the job is a tail light adapter. Since the XJ has separate lights for the turn signals and typical trailer wiring (utility, boat etc.) shares the bulb for blinkers and brakes, the tail light adapter brings it all together back down to the 4 wire configuration (flat plug). U-haul should sell the adapter AND give you instructions on wiring it. You can still use the round plug but you'll have to cut off the flat plug and wire the car side yourself.
Some tail light adapters just plug in to the factory harness, most don't. If not (mine didn't) you can tap in to the brakes, blinkers and tail lights right where you are in the pic.

The typical 4 wire flat plug includes white (ground) , yellow (brake and left blinker), green (brake and right blinker) and brown (tail and running lights). The tail light adapter usually matches these colors but the most common has a red wire (for running/tail lights) which you will attach to brown.

Are you confused yet? I know I was. I went to my local hitch place and the guy there was nice enough to run me through the whole deal. That (unless you know what you're doing with wiring) is what I suggest you do. Plans B, C and D was to have someone else do it but I'm much too stubborn for that.

If I can find the wiring diagram I used I will scan it and send it to you. There is a universal color code for the 7 plug but I just used the ones I needed (4 wires). Good luck.

Thank you guys...

Well, I understand the 7-pin end of it...and I know about the 7-pin to 4-pin adapters (though from memory, it looks like it's gonna come REAL close to the reciever since the plug faces the receiver!).

What I was more confused about was where to plug the harness into my Jeep! I'm not sure which plug is which, and I was hoping NOT to have to splice. Someone mentioned something about a $20-something dollar "T" adapter, but I can't find any part numbers or pics. can anyone point me in the right direction on how to attach the harness to my Jepp? Thanks!!!

Shit, I think I finally get it. Looks like I'm not gonna use my big 7-pin deal at all. I thought I needed TWO different adapters...one at each end of that factory 7-pin deal.

I understand these other things will REPLACE that 7-pin harness I already have. WHEW!

Where's my EASY button?!

Just don't be a douche whe you sell it, leave the thing on there...

The douchebag that owned my XJ a couple owners ago, cut the trailer kit wires out....

Now I am getting a kit to replace that one, maybe then my tailights will work reliably when it rains.....

Back