• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ trialer hitch question

qwikz

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know for certain if a hitch from the older XJ's(89-96)
fit the newer body styles(97-01)?

Thanks

Hitches are the same for all years.

I just installed one last night. Get the nut strips if you don't have them, it makes it a very easy job.

If you have the OE fuel tank skid, you already have the nut strips. :)

Turfzilla said:
There is usually a nut strip on the passenger side on most xj's
I have one on the drivers side of my '99, nothing on the passenger side.

What size SHOULD the bolts be? (if its the factory nut strip)

IslanderOffRoad said:
Hitches are the same for all years.

I just installed one last night. Get the nut strips if you don't have them, it makes it a very easy job.

hey.. did that hitch work out okay for you? the one i put on mine was acutally quite a P.I.A. with all the rust i had. my factory tailpipe bracket wouldnt work either.. i ended up fabing something up. The other thing was that i could only get 6 bolts in. There are starter holes that need to be drilled out to get to the nut strip i think.. did you run into this?

most hitch kits give you the correct bolts for the passenger side nut strip (my Putnam hitch did... made in USA!). Yours may just be too rusted to move. I only had 5 years of rust on mine, so it wasn't too bad... bad enough to slip the gears of a 1/2-drive Craftsman wrench with a cheater bar, but I was able to get it done. I just used the rectangular backing plate and wire line for the drivers side (no skid).

Back