• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

code 54

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching, but I can't do a search for threads containing BOTH or ALL search words.

When I tried to start my 96 after lunch today, it had a hard time turning over, but finally did it with some gas. The CEL stayed on so I pulled codes and got a 54. My Haynes says that is the distributor sync pickup but does not give any other details that I can find.

Any help?
Will

DeftwillP said:
I tried searching, but I can't do a search for threads containing BOTH or ALL search words.

When I tried to start my 96 after lunch today, it had a hard time turning over, but finally did it with some gas. The CEL stayed on so I pulled codes and got a 54. My Haynes says that is the distributor sync pickup but does not give any other details that I can find.

Any help?
Will

It's not an easy thing to change, new or rebuilt distributers comes with a new one installed.

After I posted this message, the CEL went away and I forgot about it. Today, I had a problem starting it again and the code re-appeared.

To make things worse, I was running errands for work when it started missing violently on the highway. Then it just died while I was in the turn lane of a somewhat busy road.

I had to walk over to Advance and buy a new haynes since my haynes and FSM were both at the house. Then I pointed to the sensor that code 54 says to replace. They looked it up and sold it to me for around $35 bucks. Its the little ring that fits inside the cap, underneath the rotor. Part number EL380, listed as an "ignition pick-up".

Just an FYI for those who get a code 54. It only takes 5 minutes to replace.

Back