• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Questions

First I rounded off the tensioning bolt. Got that replaced and tighten it until it didn't squeak. 6 months later the main bearing in the water pump went out. Had to have it towed home because it was flopping around so bad. I used some sandpaper to ruff up the surfaces where the belt was squeaking and tighten the belt as much as I thought it should be. Only squeaks occasionally. I turn off the A/C and back on to make it go away. I recently bought an idler pulley. It will replace that really shinny one. I think the water pump has been fine for over a year now, so it must not be as tight.

you didn't use belt dressing on it did you?Belt dressing isn't supposed to be used on a serpentine belt.....it will worsen the problem.Deglaze all the pullies with sandpaper,and use brake parts cleaner to get any oil/belt dressing off all the pullies...after that install a new belt.

Funny story. When my friend was purchasing a Serp belt the guy at autozone goes. "here your gonna need this belt dressing!" Big bold letters on the package DO NOT USE ON SERPENTINE BELTS. lol I thought it was funny considering it's their job to know stuff like that or at least try.

93RugbyXJ said:
I cant shake the noise from my fanbelt. How tight is too tight? How often do the bearings go out on the pullies?

Any help is much appreciated

THANKS

Are you sure it is the belt making the noise?

If you're not sure get an auto stethescope and check all the accesories for abnormal noise. If it is just the belt making noise you should be able to dump a cup of water on it (while running) and the noise should stop for a little while.

so I still cant shake the problem. I took off the belt and the idler pully spins fine and i have roughed up the pullys and the belt with 50 grit.

Any other ideas? The problem is just driving me crazy. Cant pick up hot chicks when they cant hear you over the sound of your screaming Jeep

Is it an AutoZone belt?

They are junk and will sqeak even if they are just a bit wet. And then they never stop squeaking, days later.

Goodyear Gatorback solved that problem.

Probably any belt besides AutoZone's crap would do too!

Back