• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what bumper will work with stock hitch

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a stock tow hitch and a tomken gas tank skid will any of the aftermarket bumper and tire carriers work? yes I searched in fact my eyes hurt from reading

I know that JCR Offroad bumpers will work with with that stuff, no problem.

www.jcroffroad.com

HaleYes said:
I know that JCR Offroad bumpers will work with with that stuff, no problem.

www.jcroffroad.com

damn. i guess now at some point in time i gotta go buy a 2'' hitch to sling under my beast lol.

i took the lil POS 1'' or whatever it was off when i ended up ripping off the rear stock bumper, and breaking off 2/3 of the mounting bolts (stupid rusted things)

IMHO, the best option is to have the 2" reciever in the bumper. (which is an option that JCR offers) You'll also gain more ground clearance.

HaleYes said:
IMHO, the best option is to have the 2" reciever in the bumper. (which is an option that JCR offers) You'll also gain more ground clearance.

yea, but i was told not to trailer anything w/ it, because its not tied in right or something (even tho i have it mounted the way jcr sends it, to include the tie in rails.......better question for PM land?

ladywolf said:
yea, but i was told not to trailer anything w/ it, because its not tied in right or something (even tho i have it mounted the way jcr sends it, to include the tie in rails.......better question for PM land?

Ive also wondered about towing with a receiver in the bumper. It seems the weak point would be where the receiver hole is in the bumper, not where the bumper ties into the frame (if you use the frame tie ins of course).

Does anyone have any input?

They are strong enough to tow up to an XJ's capacity.

Typically if you tow a lot it's nice to have a dedicated receiver hitch. You don't need a large drop hitch, and it's easier to get a pin in and out of and such.

I like the hitch it does take a little clerance away but it adds to the protection plus I tow a pop-up. I'm worried that since the hitch is there how will a bumper attach to the "frame" the hitch is using the nutcert strip do they bolt right on top off or under the existiing hitch.

gabe4 said:
I like the hitch it does take a little clerance away but it adds to the protection plus I tow a pop-up. I'm worried that since the hitch is there how will a bumper attach to the "frame" the hitch is using the nutcert strip do they bolt right on top off or under the existiing hitch.

Using JCR's frame tie-ins for the rear bumper as an example:

rearunibodynew.jpg

It appears that it just goes against the frame in the same location as the stock skid plate / hitch would mount. I would assume all that it would do is add a drop to the hitch and or skid plate.

The detours bumpers fit also. They have a mounting bracket for XJ's with hitches. Mine worked out perfect with my factory hitch.

jeepme said:
The detours bumpers fit also. They have a mounting bracket for XJ's with hitches. Mine worked out perfect with my factory hitch.
do you by chance have a picture of this. I got my Detour bumper, I removed my old bumper, but I have no nut strip to cut my hitch way installed with the bolt's on top and the nut on the bottom. So I'm trying to understand how Marks L brackets work.

I dont have any pics of the the mounts but just give Detours a call and they will tell you how it mounts.

jeepme said:
I dont have any pics of the the mounts but just give Detours a call and they will tell you how it mounts.
I sent Mark a note but was hoping someone else might already have one here, I did a search and got nothing.Do you recall if the brackets are attached to the two closest tow the rear bolt holes, one inside and one outside the uni-body?

Back