• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to be scared or not to be scared???

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 xj 4x4 automatic 4.0 and ive got a problem. i drive my jeep as a daily driver and it climbs a 4,000 foot elevation summit (interstate 15 fwy). I usually drop it into third to stay in pace with traffic, my RPM are roughly 2600 or sooo. Well today i droped it in two 3rd and it went up fine. As soon as i got off my offramp, to a complete stop. I gave it gas and it accelerated sluggishly as if i was barely toughting the gas. wtf? anyway i stoped at another light and was at idle, meanwhile im still in overdrive, it still does it until i put some foot on my pedal then it finally goes. Wtf??? I stopped and checked the fluid and yes it is dark but didnt smell burnt or shavings in it... well going home i was at a stop and it finally accelerated normal...wut could it be? did it heat up to where i lost viscosity in my transfluid?? time for a major service? it shifts and goes into overdrive fine...all ideas accepted. thanx :(

First, I am sure you will get an opinion that is the opposite of mine.

My brother-in-Law owns 3 transmission shops & over the past 30 years Has worked on thousands of trannys,
He Says never drive for any length of time with an automatic tranny in any position other than DRIVE,
He also says not to turn off the overdrive (If you have one of those switches) for any length of time. It is all bad for the tranny.
If you have to use the other gears make it as short a time as possible & keep an sharp eye out for any odd behavior from the tranny while doing so.
If I were you I would do a complete flush & hope for the best.

garr said:
First, I am sure you will get an opinion that is the opposite of mine.

My brother-in-Law owns 3 transmission shops & over the past 30 years Has worked on thousands of trannys,
He Says never drive for any length of time with an automatic tranny in any position other than DRIVE,
He also says not to turn off the overdrive (If you have one of those switches) for any length of time. It is all bad for the tranny.
If I were you I would do a complete flush & hope for the best.
YEAH I WILL. I HOPE SOO TOO.

MOST PEOPLE SAY THAT THE AW4 IS PICKY ABOUT ITS FLUID

98RExj said:
MOST PEOPLE SAY THAT THE AW4 IS PICKY ABOUT ITS FLUID

There's a key right below the "Tab" and right above the "Shift" :yelclap:

crystalship1 said:
There's a key right below the "Tab" and right above the "Shift" :yelclap:
HAHA could the fluid be the problem?

I would drive it again tomorrow and keep it in drive not 3rd and see what happens. In my experience with transmissions some times its a sticky check ball or a solenoid that causes what you described. if it works well the next couple days then do a service and get the dark fluid replaced with some high quality stuff. The hill up here has claimed more than a few transmissions and if you don't have a trans cooler you should get one asap.

Gerr said:
I would drive it again tomorrow and keep it in drive not 3rd and see what happens. In my experience with transmissions some times its a sticky check ball or a solenoid that causes what you described. if it works well the next couple days then do a service and get the dark fluid replaced with some high quality stuff. The hill up here has claimed more than a few transmissions and if you don't have a trans cooler you should get one asap.
yeah i need to put on my transcooler

Fluid should be bright red. Drain & fill with Dex III or better. Maybe try a quart of Lucas in place of a quart of Dex III

Put in that Tranny Cooler. Piece o' cake install.

Are you sure it's a tranny problem?? How's the Cat??

Don't be scared.

Last edited:
ParadiseXJ said:
Fluid should be bright red.

Dex III or better

Tranny Cooler

Are you sure it's a tranny problem?? How's the Cat??

Don't be scared.
haha fluid is brown, get paid thursday so a full flush is on the way. theres no cat...:D

Good luck with the flush.
I'd be kinda scared to do that.
How many miles ya got on it?
Ive heard bad things about flushing a high miles tranny.
(trannies going south)

drifto77 said:
(trannies going south)

As have I. I'd feel better doing a drain and refill a couple of times (that is, drain and refill....drive a bit, drain and refill again...drive a bit more..etc) untill the fluid for the most part is bright red. Less of a chance of any crud in the tranny getting broken up and into places it shouldnt be.

UNCC_99XJ said:
As have I. I'd feel better doing a drain and refill a couple of times (that is, drain and refill....drive a bit, drain and refill again...drive a bit more..etc) untill the fluid for the most part is bright red. Less of a chance of any crud in the tranny getting broken up and into places it shouldnt be.

I agree. My normal routine is 3 times drain/refill with driving a few miles in between. Dex fluid only.

drifto77 said:
(trannies going south)

hhmmm yeah could do that, how many qts. u recommend?

I was always under the impression that higher rpm's were easier on a transmission than low rpm's with lots of torque. And the jeep manual even recommends using 3 when you're on a hilly road.

PurpleCherokee said:
I was always under the impression that higher rpm's were easier on a transmission than low rpm's with lots of torque. And the jeep manual even recommends using 3 when you're on a hilly road.
yeah using third under heavy loads or when power is most needed

I'll just tell ya what I've had personal experience with and that's B&M Trick Shift full synthetic. I've been runnin it for a couple years now and I LOVE how it makes your tranny shift. Very firm, and my fluid's lookin great. I love my AW4. I've been through two motors and the tranny still feels brand new like it's never gunna leave me... knock on wood now :)

Back