• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with it?

XJSlater

NAXJA Forum User
Well the motor is done on my XJ. I'm at a loss for what to do with it, I really don't have the time, $, or resources to replace the motor. At this point I'm considering either trying to get my hands on another stocker in the future and switching everything over, or just cut my losses and part out what I have. Either way I'm losing quite a bit of money. Anybody got any ideas on what would be the best option?

Well first off: How gone is it? Is there a rod hanging out the side of the block?

There are a LOT of Cherokees out there. Swapping your parts onto another is defenitely a viable option. There are a lot of cheap, running Cherokees sitting in yards that just need work.

What do you want to do?

Well, its not like its beyond repair, but it's definitely going to take a lot of labor to get it done. I need to replace the camshaft, camshaft gear, and the timing chain. I've had a tough run of breakdowns and repairs lately, and to be completely honest, I'm a little spent on the whole idea of dropping even more money and my time off work into this rig.

Obviously there are lots of options.

The most logical solutions to me are as follows:
1. Pull and rebuild the engine in it (either yourself or have it done).
2. Put a "new" used engine or "rebuilt" engine in it.
3. Swap your stuff to another vehicle.

Now, none of these options are that time consuming or expensive in the grand scheme of things. I think you just need to decide which works best for you and decide if you do it with your time or your money (pay someone else to do it for you).

Just my .02
Michael

Back