• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

80+ oil pressure 96 xj 2wd need help soon

19xjsprt96

NAXJA Forum User
yea i havent found the problem its not a fuse or sensor and the gauge moves when its on acc. but when i start up and run its pegged all time. my oil pan has a big dent in it right before the drain plug toward the front end. im at my wits end with this it doesnt seem to affect the running of it oil level is fine and cant seem to find any leaks. if anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

I'm gonna go ahead and save you some heartache before some of the others get to this....

search on here for "oil pressure sensor." You'll then find your problem.

How do you know it's not the sensor? They do wear out and it's easy to hit the wire when doing an oil filter change. The sensor being pegged indicates the wire to the sensor is broken or the sensor is bad (high resistance about 100 ohms). At 40-psi you should see about 47-ohms resistance (ballpark 1-ohm per psi). Shorting the sensor wire to ground should read zero pressure.

Well my own experience would say Oil Pressure Sensor either came unplugged or has cr@pped out on you.

When my OPS came unplugged the pressure guage would Peg/Max as well. Happend a couple times over a period of a month or two... so I replaced my OPS (was also leaking a bit of oil) and the guage works fairly well now.

It's about as simple a check (see if it's plugged in) as you can do to get the fix... if that's it.

Yes, I believe it's just a single wire for a 96 as it gets the ground connection through the engine block. Sending unit and sensor are the same thing. The sensor sticks out of the adapter that the oil filter screws onto. If you unplug the wire and short it to ground, the guage should go to zero. Unplugged it should be pegged. If you replace it, make sure you get the sensor meant for use with a gauge instead of the type that just turns on an idiot light.

it could be that the wire for the sensor is grounding out some place else try and look it over for any bare spots. I have also had the gauge part go bad in the dash but from what I hear that is pretty rare

Gerr said:
it could be that the wire for the sensor is grounding out some place else try and look it over for any bare spots. I have also had the gauge part go bad in the dash but from what I hear that is pretty rare

But grounding the wire should cause the guage to read zero. High resistance (dirty connector, broken wire, etc) should make it read very high. I'm still not sure if he's replaced the sensor since he didn't seem too sure of where it was.

After reading this thread I verified that my wires seemed OK, then bought a new oil pressure sensor. On the internet I couldn't find one for a 1997 4.0 4WD Sport, and the price was confusing: in the high 20s, or close to $80? One place I called said they didn't stock it. But my local Jeep dealer had it in stock: over $75 w/tax!! I checked electrical continuity at the female plug (two wire) going in before ripping the new part package open: good circuit. New one is now installed and I once again have an oil pressure gauge that works fine! FYI, the failure process took a few weeks: pegged to the right, bit of wavering up/down, finally nothing but pegged to the right.

Back