• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canibalizing how much?

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok now i have a 95 cherokee and a 95 grand cherokee. The grand cherokee is pretty much done because of front end and electrical problems. So we are going to junk it. So far all i've taken off of it are two new BFG ats that will fit my jeep. I am not experienced with the grand at all since it wasn't mine.I want to know what i can/should take off the grand that with fit on my XJ so i can load up on some spare parts. Both are automatics and have a 4.0 in it. Any info would be appretiated.

ZJ steering is stronger. See if the ZJ has rear discs. Might have the better MC/booster and prop valve. Both should have the AW4 tranny so you have a spare there. Transfer case. ZJ seats. Not sure about the axles...?

Engine....well, the head should be the same, or similar....other than that, I dont know...?

JNickel101 said:
Z. Both should have the AW4 tranny so you have a spare there.

On a 1995, it will be whatever the Chrysler tranny is. The only year the AW4 was used in the ZJ/4.0 combo was 1993, and it was only for about the first half of the year. I've only seen one, and it was in a junkyard surprisingly.

The axles if I remember correctly are the D30/D35 combo, but it's been a while since i've messed with a ZJ so I could be wrong there.

Thanks for correcting me :) I knew the AW4 was rare....so it will be what, the 42RE or something then?

If the D30 was an ABS and your XJ is not get the front axle shafts as those have the 297 u-joints. If it is a rear disc nab the rear caliper brackets and as much brake stuff as you can, i.e. master cylinder, proportioning valve. See if the Grand has a gas tank skid. It can be modified to fit the XJ. Front seats fit with minor modifications and the rears can fit with heavy modification. The steering components are not worth nabbing as it is 4.0l Grand. If it was a V8 it would have been a good upgrade. Check the alternator. Pretty sure that year Grand had the 136 amp alternator. That would bolt in with minimal modification. Do upgrade the XJ wiring if doing it though. The XJ has only a 90 amp alternator.

What I would nab:
-front and rear axles
-front seats if in good shape
-all stearing linkages and box
-engine, transmission, transfer case
-driveshafts
-front and rear doors if in good shape
-gas tank
-reciever hitch if it has one

Use what you can and sell the rest outright, there are ZJ freaks out there too.

If storage is an issue:
-front and rear diff covers, spider gears, and shafts
-steering linkages as stock replacements
-alternator and related wiring
-disc brake parts that you can use

If the ZJ has rear disc brakes, PM me and I'll buy them from you. :D

It seems like every ZJ I see at the junkyards are missing the rear axle, so apparently they are in some demand from someone.

So, even though a Grand looks bigger and wider, the axles are the same as a Cherokee? I figured the Grand's axles would be different. If this is the case, I'm going hunting for some axles.

Back