• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different A/C Compressors...

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i've been considering the a/c to OBA swap for a while now, just haven't had the chance to do it yet. i spent a lot of time a while back reading old posts and i thought i saw somewhere that earlier jeeps used a/c compressors (yorks??) with their own oiling systems (don't use the freon like the newer sandens). well i was thinking about it last weekend and i took a look at my '97 xj and my '91 comanche. i want to do the OBA on the xj. the compressor on the xj was definitely a sanden but the one on the mj only said chrysler and the hoses went straight out the back v.s straight up into an aluminum "block" on the xj. can anyone tell me anything about the mj compressor? is there any chance it would be a nice swap into the xj for OBA?
BTW, going back now and looking at some write-ups, neither of my compressors look like the ones i have seen in pictures which have the hoses coming out of the top in somewhat of a "V" instead of straightup. any links would also be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

BADaXJ said:
i've been considering the a/c to OBA swap for a while now, just haven't had the chance to do it yet. i spent a lot of time a while back reading old posts and i thought i saw somewhere that earlier jeeps used a/c compressors (yorks??) with their own oiling systems (don't use the freon like the newer sandens). well i was thinking about it last weekend and i took a look at my '97 xj and my '91 comanche. i want to do the OBA on the xj. the compressor on the xj was definitely a sanden but the one on the mj only said chrysler and the hoses went straight out the back v.s straight up into an aluminum "block" on the xj. can anyone tell me anything about the mj compressor? is there any chance it would be a nice swap into the xj for OBA?
BTW, going back now and looking at some write-ups, neither of my compressors look like the ones i have seen in pictures which have the hoses coming out of the top in somewhat of a "V" instead of straightup. any links would also be greatly appreciated.
thanks!
AFAIK all Jeep XJs and MJs used either SD-508s or SD-709 compressors. 1984-1990 4 and 6 cylinder used the 508 and 1991-2001s used the 709. I bet if you looked on the side or bottom of that Chrysler one, you'd find SD-709.

Back