• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAn you tell me my ratios?

Akers87 said:
i have a 1987 cherokee laredo, 4L, I6. what is my T-case low range gear ratio, and what do i have in my axles, thanks.

Transfer case (NP231 or NP242) should be 2.72:1 in low, 1.00:1 in high.

Axles should be either 3.07 (manual) or 3.55 (auto,) but I want to think there were some 3.73 and maybe some 4.10 axles - in the factory Tow package.

However, there should be a smallish tag (about 3/4" x 3") under one or two cover screws - that will give you the gear ratio (bottom row to the far right.) If that tag isn't there, get me a BoM number - should be on the right tube, six-digit number starting with "60" or "61" and a one- or two-digit suffix - and I can run that through my lists and give you an answer - assuming, of course, that the gearing hasn't been changed.

Look at your T-case, on the back side should be a round RED sticker about 2 inches in diameter with a phllips head screw in the center. This sticker will tell you what t-case you have.

Here is a description of mine:
At the top: 231 AMC
In the middle: Production date and number
Bottom: 272 (this is your low range ratio, 2.72:1)

To get an estimate on your gear ration, lift up one tire then mark a u joint cap with a white marker, then mark the tire, I used a mark at the straight up position. Then spin the tire (slowly) and count how many times you driveline rotates per one turn of tire.

So for a 3.55:1 ratio, you should get about 3.5 turns of the driveshaft for ONE turn of tire.

I have a Pukegoat (pugueot BA10/5) to AW4 conversion, so I have the 3.07:1 ratio in my axles. If I were towing, I might need the higher gearing, but I don't tow often so I am not changing gears.

Back