• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Dana 44 swap into my XJ

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Quick questions. I can get me hands on a Rubicon front axle (DANA44, 4.10 gears, Tru-lok air locker) for a good price. My questions are these:
1. What brand is that locker?
2. What kind of compressor would I need to actuate it (same company or ARB?...)
Thanks guys.

p.s. If I get the Dana 44, I will have a D30 with brand new Ball Joints, Buttface diff guard (uninstalled) and brand new (500 miles) Superior 4.11 gears for sale. Located in AZ.

Thanks a bunch, LS1. Doesn't sound like such a great thing (going to the Rubi 44).

One more question...is there a difference between 4.10 and 4.11 gears?

No there wouldn't be any notible difference between 4.10's and 4.11's

~Nick

Mdub said:
Quick questions. I can get me hands on a Rubicon front axle (DANA44, 4.10 gears, Tru-lok air locker) for a good price. My questions are these:
1. What brand is that locker?
2. What kind of compressor would I need to actuate it (same company or ARB?...)
Thanks guys.

p.s. If I get the Dana 44, I will have a D30 with brand new Ball Joints, Buttface diff guard (uninstalled) and brand new (500 miles) Superior 4.11 gears for sale. Located in AZ.

I have the Dana 44 out of a Rubicon. It works great so far. The diff housing is longer than the Dana 30 so the front drive line has to be shortened. You can get the Rubicon air pump from Chrysler which is what I did and is to easy to hook up and works well. I reused the dana 30 steering knuckles, hubs and brakes.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm waivering a bit now on this...

When i asked the same question months ago. everybody tell me that stay away from ruby dana 44. they say it is not worth it?? they say it is not a powerfull upgrade.. what you think guys??. is it also a bolt on upgrade ?? just that easy??

Thanks

profonde said:
When i asked the same question months ago. everybody tell me that stay away from ruby dana 44. they say it is not worth it?? they say it is not a powerfull upgrade.. what you think guys??. is it also a bolt on upgrade ?? just that easy??

Thanks

The ONLY positive of the swap IMO is the air locker, and for the cost of the setup I am sure you could just swap in an ARB or other selectable. Its pretty clear from these other posts. Its got D30 Hubs, Axles, Outers, etc and the fact that its a LP axle makes the ring and pinion no stronger than an HP30. IMO the only thing off a rubicon that would be an upgrade for an XJ is the T-case.

It's not as powerful upgrade as a high pinion 44 with an ARB. As for what compressor, the arb compressor would be too powerful for the rubi locker so I agree with getting the compressor made for it from chrylser. Depending on the price of this axle, you could get a good high pinion 44 built for less I would say. If you can get your hands on the tcase as stated above, that would be good. However, it has it's downfalls as well.

BlueCuda said:
The ONLY positive of the swap IMO is the air locker, and for the cost of the setup I am sure you could just swap in an ARB or other selectable. Its pretty clear from these other posts. Its got D30 Hubs, Axles, Outers, etc and the fact that its a LP axle makes the ring and pinion no stronger than an HP30. IMO the only thing off a rubicon that would be an upgrade for an XJ is the T-case.

I'll go ahead and disagree with this just because I'm ornery this AM.

The LP rubi D44 is a decent upgrade compared to a HP Dana 30 because the ring and pinion is stronger but more importantly because the differential housing is stronger.

If I was running a Jeep with a non-FT case I'd run the Rubicon axle if I could get it cheap enough. Most custom 4x4s have onboard air. Tee some off and regulate down to the 6 psi or whatever the Rubi locker requires and be happy with bolt in simplicity.

If you are wheeling in such a way that the difference between a low pinion and high pinion Dana 44 is an important consideration then I'd overlook the Rubi D44.

Just my spin.

Driveline angles are also a reasonable concern with the LP and the longer pinion. As stated above.

I run a rubi 44 and have had no problems, swapped in chromoly shafts and a detriot tru-trac, 35" tires, and I beat it pretty good in the dez.

.......What kind of compressor would I need to actuate it (same company or ARB?...)........ Go to the junkyard and get a compressor out of a Cadillac (or any vehicle) with air springs, they work awsome and will cost you about $10-15 (at the PNP yards) just make sure you regulate the pressure down to what the locker likes--------Hans

Last edited:
Something like this always comes down to the cost. If I were to get a SMOKING deal on a rubi front I'd run it, no qualms. But that deal would have to be $500 or less I think. I personally wouldn't pay any more than that. Because for that I could just about get into a real hp44 with a used ARB. Though for some the convenience is probably worth a $500 itself.

Back