• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Adjustment?

NWDave

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to adjust the rear hatch latch to draw the hatch inward more? My hatch rattles, and has a larger body gap at the bottom than near the top.

yes the pin (that the door latch on the hatch door grabs onto) is held on by two bolts. the bolts are part of the pin itself and go through oblongd holes in the body. to make adjustments, losen the nuts with a wrench, move the pin to where you think it should be, tighten the nuts and test it out. repeat these steps till its just right. the access to the nuts is a little tight so be patient.

I've been unable to stop rear hatch rattling by adjusting the latch pin by itself. I believe this is due to wear on the latch pin and latch mechanism.
To correct for the wear, I've wrapped tape arround the pin. However, this is obviously a short term solution, but it works for me:cool:
Also note that there are two adjustable door stops on either side of the back hatch; adjust these outward to help stop the door from rattling.

The hatch latch also has some movement,but I'd suggest a new pin first. then try to adjust it. If it don't work then get the new latch.

don't know what years you folks are discussing, but on my '89, neither the pin or the latch adjusted. I tried both...unbolted. My solution was to remove the pin, turn it 180 degrees, and re-install. You'll notice the wear on the pin is usually only on one side!

Back