• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non Jeep Rear Tire Carrier

ReftonsRed

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking into rear tire carriers and think that the OEM Jeep tire carriers are terribly ugly and I cannot afford an aftermarket tire carrier/bumper.
so i was wondering if anyone has modified (or knows anything on) a non jeep tire carrier to work on a OEM XJ bumper? Pics would make my day.

save your pennies for an aftermarket unit.

by the time you spend all your time finding, and then adapting that other tire carrier to you jeep, plus the cost of it and additional materials, i'd be willing to bet its cost you alot more than you thought it would, and you still don't have a hitch or a stronger rear bumper.

I looked into an OEM jeep unit that needed some pieces; when those were added in , I was at a JCR carrier when I added the cost of a hitch.

what im wondering is if a yj/tj rear bumper/tire carrier is wide enough and can be retro fitted to fit a cherokee. x2 on the buying vs. building. of course jcr, rigidco, etc. make damn good stuff. nothing wrong with wanting to use your hands for something other than bolting on hardware. could also get a junkyard receiver, adapt a spare tire carrier and be on your way.

ReftonsRed said:
yeah most of the pennies are going to school right now.
And whats the fun in buying one?

if you're doing it for fun, to be original, or because you like fabbing, by all means, go for it and share the results.

However I dont think there is any money savings in trying this.

Back