• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inspiration For Those That Tow

mud1059

NAXJA Forum User
Check your hitches.

Went to Evan's just to play it safe after all the mods and/or repair I just got done with (roughly $1000 and 100 man hours into labor from my run-in with some trees) I wanted to make sure the drive wasn't wasted on something stupid failing on the trail. It was a good decision. Apparently I forgot a retaining ring when assembling my steering box. All was good in the garage, again in the driveway for about 20 mins of testing it out. With five minutes of trail time, and a fountain is what I had. I have no pictures, but it was a massive flow of fluid, I promise. Made a trail fix to minimize the flow OUT the box and all was good. Played in the snow for an hour or two. I loaded up and headed home with high hopes of actually wheeling this spring/summer.

Seriously, check your hitches.

That's my hitch less than one mile from home.

IMG_2166.jpg

Wow! Those are some sorry looking welds. Please do not admit that you did those. I'm glad nothing was seriously hurt!

-Jeremy

And the repercussions:

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

I couldn't have been any luckier from where it broke off. I'm not religious, but somebody somewhere was looking down on me and others today.

It broke at an easy 35 mph on a straightaway with no prior warning. I locked up the brakes - taking a shot in the back of the tow rig. The trailer took off to the right careening in to those huge concrete blocks. Those experienced will ask where my safety brake was. The answer: with the safety chains attached to the hitch that broke right the hell off.

Last edited:
At somepoint in the 5 years I've owned the rig, I probably saw it was hillbilly built. In recent memory, it has never crossed my mind. With it all detached now, I can't say I've ever seen a worse weld. I'll bet better pics of the truck side tomorrow.

Jeremy you spoke too soon brother. I've been saving the best (or worst) pics for last. This is where my story ends.

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!

I will say that you are lucky you (or anybody else) did not get hurt.... but damn, how could you not see that hitch in all the time you've messed around /w your rigs?

J

Oh Paul at least all is ok. You and the family. Rigs come and rigs go. I just swapped everything over to a newer XJ so I know how much work you have ahead of you. If you need any help putting a new one together just let me know. You need this one out of your life. Bad luck. I know where a 92 is for $300. Soory man

I am really lucky everyone is OK. What really breaks my arse is I was trying to have it done for if/when we get this house. (We're supposed to close this or next week) I wouldn't/won't have any time or money to work on it. I was just glad to have it done. That's really why I canceled the Chevy 44 and D300 doubler.

It was straight John I swear! I've towed with the damn thing 50-75 times in the last 5 years? This was the first time in almost a year I've towed with the damn thing. I'm just tired of workin on rigs in my "spare time". I'm done for awhile.

:scared: Holy crap Paul, I'm at a loss for words. I'm glad that your ok, and that no one else was injured. Take some time to get your house, and family stuff in order.

Then Tube that Bish:viking:

-Ryan

Edit: I know it sucks, but your bumper sticker makes that rear shot so awesome

Last edited:
I think it's a sign. Have you thought about another hobby? Maybe basket-weaving? hahahaha TOTALLY KIDDING. Let me know when you're ready if there's anything I can do to help, but X2 on getting your house/family crap together first.

J

That Fucking Sucks. The Sumner reference reminds me of when Mark "Dirtball" parked his Jeep in the back of his truck on the way to elbe on an Icy road.

Glad to hear you are okay.

Just wondering stock hitch on what flavor truck (aka what were you towing with) Also, were you tied to the axles, or the body of the Jeep?

Let me know if you need anything.

Last edited:
WOW!!
Paul, this really sucks!! This weekend I was thinking about you and wondering when you were closing on the new house. I guess my intuition was a little off track;)

Seems to me that it could have been MUCH worse!! I definetly agree something/someone was looking out for you and others on the road.

Sorry to hear about the accident, that really sucks!!!! Especially with what you have been through with that rig over the last year.

That hitch weld looks worse that my previouse bumper weld :D I don't think I have ever looked at mine on any of my tow rigs. I will now (as well as all of the mounting bolts/welds) !!

How is the back of your tow rig?

It looks to me like I use the same tie downs as you and I always used to use 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. But I lost 1 a while ago and have recently been using 1 in the front and 1 in the rear (each time thinking to my self I need to get another strap or two) I am not waiting anymore. I am getting two new straps before I tow again!! I am curiose how you have it tied down so that I can learn from your experience.

Michael

Back