• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline problem

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, had bad vibrations at 10mph and anything faster.. pulled my front drive shaft, and the vibes went away. my question is, since i just replaced my front axle shaft ujoints.. and slid the axle shafts back in.

i would still have vibes if it was coming from them correct. w/o the front drive shaft in, no more vibes..

what would make the ds vibe harshly??

ds is pulled just waiting to hear from yall to see what to do to make it not vibe

Have you checked your Double cardan joint? If its going bad/already is bad, that'd cause it. What's your set-up (lift, sye, ect.)? I'd suggest getting it balanced, but at 10mph, it's a bigger problem than that.

sorry. 95 4x4 w/ rc 4.5 lift

could i still have an issue inside the differential w/o the driveshaft connected and now not be able to feel the vibes.. or could it just have been the drive shaft>?

buddy tells me, he's a bronco guy not a jeep guy..

but he tells me that even though all is still spining, w/o the drive shaft i might not be able to detect the problem..

any jeep persons take on this would be great

i have the same problem, except it's around 45, just got the tires balanced, and the front end aligned, still have the vibes, they go away when i take off the driveshaft, gonna check my double cardin, and i'll let you know what i find.

Since you've pulled your DS, and you get no vibes, you can eliminate any axle-internal problem. With the tires spinning, everything inside the axle turns, as well as the front DS. I get moderate/tolerable vibes at 55+ with the DS in, with out it I can do 80 no problem (I'm @ 6" over stock) I'm considering geting manual hubs to eliminate any front driveline problems. As for you, I'm pretty certain it is either a bad U-Joint (check to see if all the caps are on, and that they are all secured/straped) or a bad double cardan joint (if you can wiggle the DS, it's bad) . If it is your dc joint, then your best bet would be to get a new DS and get it shortened/lengthend depending on your T.C. Were you having these problems before you lifted your rig? Is it a stock DS? You may need to get a SYE or manual hubs. Do you have the 231 or 242 TC? I'm guessing it's a HP-D30 up front. I fixed my old vibe problem (used to vibe at 70+mph, but over 10k miles, it got down to 40+mph, then the cardan joint shat on me at 50mph, pulled the shaft and was fine) by getting a p-n-p one from an XJ ($30), I got it shortened ($50) slapped it on and have driven 10k miles without a problem (other than a noticable vibe at 55+).

Last edited:
Your Cardan joint and or Center pin are bad. Take it to a reputable place that rebuilds drive lines and have it repaired and balanced.

Back