• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STARGARD security and offroading???

ECUDove

NAXJA Forum User
I searched for "stargard" and "security" with no luck, so...

My jeep has STARGARD, a security device in which you have to insert a small "key card" into a slot in order to crank the engine.

Here's my concern, I plan on wheelin the jeep soon enough, but don't really look forward to hitting some water and shorting out my jeep!

Is this a legitamate concern with the STARGARD security doo-hickey?

If so, how can I remove this bad boy?

Thanks in advance.

If you plan on doing any fording, check here and search what needs to be done for the engine. The Starguard device should be above the water line unless, of course, you drop off in a blue hole. In that case you'll need to worry about a lot more than it.

"Nothing over the bumper" should keep you from sucking air in the intake. Don't stay in the water any longer than necessary, as it will seep into everything given enough time. Water is a poor lubricant, as those who have had to rebuild axles, trannys, transfer cases, and even engines have discovered to their expensive regret.

Jeeps are much better at fording water than most cars, but the hood high water crossings in the ads are Hummer Hype. Let enough of them go first, and you should be able to cross over on their roofs.

Great advice, and I completly understand, but there is always the "what if". Like what if I do hit a "blue hole" that I did not see coming, if I can get pulled out of said predicament by a buddy, I would like the reassurance of my jeep firing up and me continuing on my happy way. In this situation, will that possible water contact on the STARGARD F some stuff up? If so, I wanna remove the STARGARD a.s.a.p.

Back