• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to remove axle bearings without bearing puller ?

SiteRnr

NAXJA Forum User
Hello..

Anyone have any ideas on easy way to pull axle bearings without buying "bearing puller tool and slide hammer" like they say to use in chiltons book.. i have a 8.25 corp axle on 98 XJ in case that matters ;)

SiteRnr

Is it the axle bearings? If so you will need a press to replace them.

Ghost said:
Is it the axle bearings? If so you will need a press to replace them.

Depends.

If it's the conventional "retainer plate" semi-floating axle, you're correct. There's a collar that retains the inner race to the shaft, and the outer race usually pulls free with finger pressure.

On the C-clip semi-floating axle, the "inner race" is a ground surface on the shaft and the outer race is lightly pressed into place - requiring a slide hammer.

Typically, you're looking at about $15 to change pressed-on bearings (each.) If you cut the old bearing off before you take them in, a good shop will only charge you half as much (you've saved them half the work) and you can inspect the shaft yourself. A Dremel makes short work of cutting the bearing off, and you don't need to go all the way through for it to "pop" off. You'll have to make two cuts, you may need to cut about 4/5 of the way through on the other side and use a cold chisel to separate (the first cut will separate from the press-fit once you get far enough - but you shouldn't hit the shaft when cutting on either side.)

Rent the tool or find a local jeeper that has it and will let you use it.

xj92 said:
Rent the tool or find a local jeeper that has it and will let you use it.

Pity we don't know where he is. I've got a slide hammer around here somewhere that he can use if he needs it (I need a day or so warning so I can dig the damn thing up...)

He won't need it if he's got a "retainer plate" axle - unless the outer races are stuck. The last couple I've changed bearings in had the outer race come out using just me fingers - but the C-clip is usually a different story (and, if you see that your C-clip shafts are damaged where the bearings ride, you'll want to replace the shafts as well. A damaged bearing surface on the shaft usually means the new bearings won't last long - say, a week or so of daily driving.)

Back