• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6 stroker

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, the motor in the ole heap is starting to show signs of wear with such high mileage. I was looking at freshening her up a bit, but then I got to reading about stroking the 4.0. This is deffinitely the way to go. I've got an extra 4.0 laying around I'll do this build on, that way I can still drive in the meantime. My question is, where is going to be the best place to buy a crank and rods from a 4.2L? I'm searching the junkyards around here, and so far I'm not having a whole lot of luck. Anyone know of a site online to order this from reasonable? I'm just outside of Memphis, TN if this helps any.

craigslist and local 4x4 forums. My buddy bought an entire cj to get his. I just bought a new crank. Rods I got from a guy on ebay. They were shotpeened and heat soaked.

Thanks for all the advice guys and I will deff check out the links. Just a quick update...I made a few more calls today, and made a Mega Sweet deal. Found a shortblock 4.2 that I am getting for 80. Now I've got the 4.0 project engine, and the 4.2 crank and rods. For me, those were the hard to find items. The cam and misc parts I can find everywhere. Man I can't wait to start turning wrenches on it and see how it turns out. I've not heard anything but good about the stroked engines.

What year motor? if it is a pre 1990 get with Oletshot and have him bore your TB out for ya. He just did mine and it is a thing of beauty along with it being only $65! shipped too. Find the 1996 fuel injectors, they are 26lbs and cheaper to find than buying new fords (and you dont have to mangle the ends to make them fit).

mk153smaw said:
What year motor? if it is a pre 1990 get with Oletshot and have him bore your TB out for ya. He just did mine and it is a thing of beauty along with it being only $65! shipped too. Find the 1996 fuel injectors, they are 26lbs and cheaper to find than buying new fords (and you dont have to mangle the ends to make them fit).

Not for sure what year motor yet, I'll have to pull the casting number when I get there to pick it up. But if you are talking about the 4.0 to be rebuilt, it is a 93. The heap it will all be going into is a 95 with manual transmission. What lb injectors are on this, or will I still need to go with the 96 model?

I was just asking mostly to figure out what type of TB you were going to be using, newer type vs. older type. I have the older type in my stroker since I didnt go with the '99 intake option. I stayed with my '88 setup and made my TB 61mm then had the head ported and polished to match the runners from the intake for better flow. The I droped some extra cash and had them mess with the bowls at the valves to fix air flow even more along with 2.02 int/1.60ext chevy valves.

I went with the ones Hesco sells. They are made by Diamond Pistons. I am using the 4.0 rods myself. The set cost me $650 with shipping and well worth it. After looking around for custom sets and premade sets, the price is in the average range.

Back