• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Specific NSS Issue (I've searched!)

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys! Quick Question. I took my NSS out some time ago to clean it and broke it upon taking it out (anyone got a used one for sale?). Anyways, my Jeep has been sitting for some time since it is two hours away from where I live. I am home with the Jeep right now and was going to try and get it started up in the morning by jumping/bypassing the NSS.

Now... my question. Is this possible to do with the NSS completely out of the Jeep? Thanks!

assuming AW4 trans-- it should start if you ground the circuit that grounds when in "N" or "P"-- on the older RENIX, you can jumper from the starter relay to ground, but on the Chryco I think you have to run the jumper in the plug for the NSS

Shes a 95! What pins would I jump? You say I may have to run the jumper in the plug for the NSS. Do you mean on the engine part of the NSS plug or the NSS side? What if I cut the old NSS harness and wires off and twisted the necessary ones together? Would that work? I just need a temporary fix so I can show the potential buyer that it does in fact run but that the switch MUST be replaced. Thanks

You'll need to search for the specific wires-- I'm still stuck in the RENIX era, but you should be able to cut the wires from the NSS and plug into the harness with them connected. I don't know how much I'd try to drive it like that though, as the ECU also receives a signal about what gear you're in IIRC.
It would prolly only keep the converter from locking, but I'd hate to steer you wrong.

I'm not too worried about driving it anywhere. It is not registered or insured, so it is not leaving the driveway. I just want to show that it does in fact run! I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Now its time for bed! If anyone else knows what wires, please let me know! Thanks.

Jeremy

Check your NAPA for a replacement. I've been thumbing through an Echlin buyer's guide, and I think I saw one in there (which would be way cheaper than a dealer, I'm sure... NS6521 might work for you, but I don't have specific application information.)

Since you've broken the old one, can I talk you out of it (or have you already tossed it?)

SHES ALIVE!!! Started right up after sitting for 6 months. Thanks guys! Now the belt won't move though and squeals VERY loudly. Any idea what the first thing to freeze up that will cause the belt to squeal after 6 months? The motor sounded OK

I jumped mine and haven't looked back, I tried cleaning the old one and I'm not spending 200 bucks right now for a new one so I just ran a simple toggle switch to jump the wires and hid it inside the slot for the parking break so no one will find it. But be fore warned, the first time you shut the truck off in gear, (sitting in a Jack in the Box drive through and they couldn't here me over the exhaust), and you forget you left the switch on........ Lets just say that unlike a standard trans, when you start an auto in gear, it takes a sec or two to jump forward.:gee:

Ron

Back