• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft troubles?

MasterShakeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I'd been having a hum as well as somewhat of a minor vibe recently so at first I thought it would be my front ds ujoints. so i took the from ds out and when i drove it next the hum/vibe was still there a little bit. a friend of mine suggested, wheel bearings, hubs, or axle shaft ujoints but im not sure. and i looked this morning at my rear ds and noticed it looks like one or two of the retaining clips are missing. it is the front most ujoint on the rear ds, where it goes into the t-case. on one side it is the ujoint cap and the other is the zerk fitting. im not sure if the side with the zerk had a clip or was supposed to have one, but it caught my eye. and on the other side, there is no clip. this is a tom woods driveshaft and is only about two months old. has only been wheeled once (mild wheeling, nothing extreme). it came already greased and was greased after offroading trip. would this be under any kind of a warranty from tom woods? if they would fix it for me I would probly have to pay shipping and it would end up being cheaper to remove the ds myself and put a new clip in.

100_0418_1.jpg

100_0420_1.jpg

am i worrying too much, or could this be a problem? and if it is a problem, is this the source of the hum/vibe?

thanx in advance

Those are not supposed to have any sort of clip as they are held in place by the two tabs you see there.

One on each side of the t-case yoke and the centering ball yoke on the d-shaft.

while were on the subject of my sye and ds i have another question. on the left side of the new tcase housing there is a little cork type thing. i think maybe a breather hole? ever since i did the sye ATF has been dripping from there. not too much, just a drop on the ground every once in a while. any thoughts? its circled in red in the attached picture

breatherhole_1.jpg

ON your second picture, the circled item is a plug. That is supposed to have a plastic washer on it to keep the ATF from leaking out. All that plug does is keep fluid in there.

Must Be an AA kit, as the other kits I've come across don't have a plug there, it's just machined into the housing.

Anywho, you need a washer there. Go to napa with the plug and ask for an 1/8th inch plastic washer.

As long as you have an SYE, pull the front shaft and drive it around. If it goes away, problem solved.

I think it is your rear pinion angle. Pull the rear shaft and drive it at highway speeds (BELOW 60MPH) and see if that solves your problem. If it does, rear pinion angle needs to be adjusted.

the plug has a washer. its a white plastic one but doesnt seem to be doing anything. i tried some plumbers tape on the nut and that also did nothing.

my front ds has been pulled for about a week and a half now bc i thought the problem was front ds ujoints, and the hum is still there. its the loudest from about 30-40 mph. do you think its the lack of shims on the rear axle? if so, how do you measure to know what degree shim to buy?

Back