• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motorcraft starter solenoid?

85xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
me again . another problem that just started recently..
go in my jeep wanna fire it up and suprise! nothing,no crank,all electrical working, but no response.here is what happens,all gauges work good,all lights,radio cb everything comes on,turn the key and all i hear is the actuating rod clicking or moving.when this happens,the batt gauge is reading a weak 9.
fyi it is not the switch that is on the column,already fixed that problem.so pop the hood,and gave the starter solenoid a good whack.bang fired it up in one shot.i have had to do this 4 times in 2 days.also all the wires and connectors that go to the solenoid are 3 months old,so i do not think it is a bad connection.batt wires are 3 months old too.after the hard starting,i drive,stop shut it off do my things go back in the jeep, f.starter engages,but the beast will not crank.gotta hit the gas and key for 5 secs,it comes barely to life,gotta floor the gas a couple of times before it will stay on,and then all is normal.no rough idle,does not stall and runs good. got any clues guys?oh note that after banging the solenoid,the batt gauge reads a solid 14 with all accesories on.
more info 85 amc xj,2.8l v6 60 degree gm motor,motorcraft starter system 236000 km,possible blown head gasket 1 week before these symptoms (milk shake on the valve cover oil filler cap, but none on the dipstick,drive 40 km every day, clean cap every morning,always a little bit each day over flow bottle is slowly descending)bosch wires,ngk plugs distributor cap are 2 years old,although the wires have hairline cracks,think that is all.so is my solenoid going out?what should i do? replace it with a bone yard one? any help would be great

Check your battery cable connections (both ends) to make sure they are clean and tight. They can fool you by letting enough amps through to power your acessories but not enough amps to crank the starter.

great! thanks for the info

Back