• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus fan write up?

I'll give you a quick write up on how I did mine. It's probably not the ideal way though.

1. remove mechanical fan
2. remove fan shroud and stock e-fan.
3. bolt fan idler pulley back onto its hub and cut the excess bolt off
4. remove grille.
5. remove transmission cooler.
6. drain coolant
7. disconnect tranny cooler lines from radiator.
8. remove panel over radiator.
9. remove radiator
10. move condensor out of the way.
11. drill new holes for radiator bottom approximately 1.5 inches forward of original holes.
12. move rubber grommets for lower radiator mounts to the new holes.
13. put condensor back into position.
14. stab radiator back into position
15. mock up upper radiator plate and mark where to cut it and drill new holes.
16. remove upper radiator plate, cut and drill new holes.
17. remove hood center catch from hood.
18. mount upper radiator plate.
19. slide taurus fan into position, notching and cutting away the shroud until it fits, Note that you want as much of the shroud on the radiator as possible.
20. Cut small strips of the drop that you cut and bend them to make mounting brackets for the fan, use self tapping screws to hold them in place.
21. from under the jeep you will notice that the taurus fan hangs well below the radiator, this distance happens to be the same height as the tranny cooler. Using wooden blocks I spaced the tranny cooler to the same distance from the fan as the radiator.
22. re-bend tranny cooler lines and hook up tranny cooler.
23. cut small hole in shroud for small fan.
24. mount small 10 inch fan on drivers side.
25. hook up 10 inch fan to stock e- fan wiring.
25. replace radiator hoses and fill system
26. purchase thermostatic switch, mount sensor in radiator,
27. connect one side of thermo switch to a +12V ignition switched source.
28. connect the other side to a 30 amp relay.
29 connect the other side of the relay to ground.
30. connect taurus fan ground to ground.
31. connect battery to NO contact on relay
32. connect fan low speed (smaller wire) to the common on the relay.

You can hook up the high speed but you need at least a 40 amp relay, auto zone sells one in their tuner section.

from Ford Taurus's
early to mid 90's I think it was.

Jump This said:
Umm.....I meant like....do you pick them up from junkyards, or someplace on-line....e-bay....

Get the idea?

:D
Hahahah, funny Rick, you got some guys being smart with you.....

I have seen some clean ones on Ebay....i have also heard the install is a pain....ask Elias....

The install is not really that bad IMO.

Yes if you want to use the high speed you cant just use any relay. Nor can you get away with using a starting solenoid. I tried doing it with a solenoid at first and it worked great... but they are not made for continuous duty. So if you left the high speed on for more then say 15-25 minutes, the high speed would no longer work because the solenoid gets to hot. I picked up an actual relay that looks exactly like the solenoid that i used... its rated for continuous duty. I have not had any problems with the high speed since.
Here is the relay i purchased:
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ARCR012/ALLRELAYS/Relay%2C+12V%2C+85+Amp

Other then that, i was skeptical about cutting the mounting bracket for the mechanical fan (you HAVE to do it or else the Taurus fan wont fit). But after i got the bearing out of the bracket, cutting it was no big deal.

Follow the link i gave in the first post i made in this thread... its pretty self explanatory.

Oh about the Taurus fan... you can get them from the 3.8L version of the Taurus from something like 89-95. You can also get it from a Lincoln Mark VIII with the same engine / year.

Watch out for these fans on eBay... if its a "replacement" fan for these years it is NOT the same thing. They are not rated for the same amount of CFM's as the originals. I would make sure that it was pulled from a junkyard vehicle, or go pull it yourself so you get the right one. If you just get the replacement, your defeating the purpose.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't intend to be jack ass.
I found mine at a wrecker. one of the few things wreckers round here don't over charge for.

Muad'Dib said:
The install is not really that bad IMO.

Yes if you want to use the high speed you cant just use any relay. Nor can you get away with using a starting solenoid. I tried doing it with a solenoid at first and it worked great... but they are not made for continuous duty. So if you left the high speed on for more then say 15-25 minutes, the high speed would no longer work because the solenoid gets to hot. I picked up an actual relay that looks exactly like the solenoid that i used... its rated for continuous duty. I have not had any problems with the high speed since.
Here is the relay i purchased:
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ARCR012/ALLRELAYS/Relay%2C+12V%2C+85+Amp

Other then that, i was skeptical about cutting the mounting bracket for the mechanical fan (you HAVE to do it or else the Taurus fan wont fit). But after i got the bearing out of the bracket, cutting it was no big deal.

Follow the link i gave in the first post i made in this thread... its pretty self explanatory.

Oh about the Taurus fan... you can get them from the 3.8L version of the Taurus from something like 89-95. You can also get it from a Lincoln Mark VIII with the same engine / year.

Watch out for these fans on eBay... if its a "replacement" fan for these years it is NOT the same thing. They are not rated for the same amount of CFM's as the originals. I would make sure that it was pulled from a junkyard vehicle, or go pull it yourself so you get the right one. If you just get the replacement, your defeating the purpose.

Thanks for mentioning a good relay for you guys in the US. Have added it to the write up.

goodburbon said:
30A good for low speed http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP6009/store,3061/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

40A good for high speed
http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP5993/store,3061/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

When I was at autozone they had a "pilot" brand 40A relay which is what I am using now for 5 bucks.

GOJEEP posted a better and cheaper high end relay, I can't find a link to the one I got.

30-40 amp is good for the low speed preferably the 40 amp. However, the 40 isnt enough for the high speed. Im suprised you have gotten away with it for this long. On start-up the high speed side of the fan draws up to 90 AMPS. As you can see, your 40 just isnt enough. The even funnier thing is that the 40 you listed is MORE expensive then the 85 that i am using/posted.

Also, dont forget that you want to use nothing smaller then 10 awg wire.

I'm not surprised, the voltage spike at startup is only at startup. The running amperage is between 30-35A. As you can see, a short spike settles out quickly enough not to burn the relay.

Like I said Yes he posted a better and cheaper relay, but I found the one I am using for $5 (same type as the one I linked).

Oh and a word to the wise, you can not use 2 30A relays running in parallel for the high speed, one always has less resistance and pulls all of the current, They melt :D

Gojeep said:
Thanks for mentioning a good relay for you guys in the US. Have added it to the write up.

NP GoJeep, your write-ups have been very very benefecial. On another note, now that im thinking of it... i remember you saying you were having trouble finding a fuse holder for the maxi fuses. This is the one i used:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/115lf/american-terminal/p68827.html

The two i bought have worked great. I didnt get them from the link above, i think i got them off of ebay, but as i said they have worked very very well.

goodburbon said:
I'm not surprised, the voltage spike at startup is only at startup. The running amperage is between 30-35A. As you can see, a short spike settles out quickly enough not to burn the relay.

Like I said Yes he posted a better and cheaper relay, but I found the one I am using for $5 (same type as the one I linked).

Oh and a word to the wise, you can not use 2 30A relays running in parallel for the high speed, one always has less resistance and pulls all of the current, They melt :D

I guess to me its better to stay with a relay that i know can handle the spike, compared to one that is being pushed beyond its limits probably shortening the overall life of it.

Did you try the parallel relays? That sounds awesome! LOL!

hey will the taurus fan still fit alright in a 97+ following gojeeps method? ive heard there are some clearance issues with the newer models..

Don't do the Taurus fan. It's a waste.

The Taurus fan is 18" high.
Our radiators are only 11" high.

30% of the fan doesn't even pull air through the rad.
Plus is sucks HUGE amounts of battery juice and is a PITA
to keep the electric fan motor from getting hot and THEN IT QUITS WORKING.

Trust me.
I've been through every fan set up out there.

THE BEST FAN SET UP IS THIS: Trust me, this is the ticket.

My write up:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949248

Rokee44 said:
hey will the taurus fan still fit alright in a 97+ following gojeeps method? ive heard there are some clearance issues with the newer models..

Technically there are clearance problems with the early years. You DO have to remove the bearing AND cut the bracket for the old mechanical fan so the taurus fan will fit.

But to directly answer your question, i just dont know if it is different or not. I did hear / read that some bracketry is different with those models, so you could be right ...

barillms said:
Don't do the Taurus fan. It's a waste.

The Taurus fan is 18" high.
Our radiators are only 11" high.

30% of the fan doesn't even pull air through the rad.
Plus is sucks HUGE amounts of battery juice and is a PITA
to keep the electric fan motor from getting hot and THEN IT QUITS WORKING.

Trust me.
I've been through every fan set up out there.

THE BEST FAN SET UP IS THIS: Trust me, this is the ticket.

My write up:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949248

Were all entitled to our opinions, but i have yet to see one taurus install go bad. As far as your design is concearned... well i think the thread sums it up ... its not so good.

I would recommend the taurus fan to anyone.
The extra length allows for a nice spot to pull air through a tranny cooler.
Also heat is never a facor to the fans motor, only the relays used to run it. You get a cheap relay, or one that isnt rated for continuous duty, and no shit, the fan is going to stop working...

Last edited:
yeah i dunno about that 3 fan design... it looks like there would be a lot to go wrong with it... plus a neighbor was going to sell a taurus fan so i told him id take it off his hands and he gave it to me for $10... which whether i go through with the install or not is a pretty good deal. i dont have heating issues as you seemed to have barillms, it would simply be for a little peace of mind when in deep water being able to turn it off, and i like the idea of variable speeds to adapt to the conditions. that being said... this is my only vehicle and would have to be veeerry confident in this to go cutting brackets off my engine...muad have u seen that thread kickin around here about installing the taurus fan without cutting the mech. fan bracket? i dont see how it can be done but i think ill read through that first and take some measurments... see what i need to cut off..

edit: just realised he used a smaller fan to fit in there to clear the old fan bracket and bearing...

Last edited:
Why would anyone put an 18" high fan on a 11" radiator?
The Taurus fan is good for a big, Ford radiator or a square radiator....
not a Cherokee radiator.

Put fans on that fit the radiator. Thats common sense.
Three 10" fans FIT PERFECTLY across the radiator... thats the best
and most efficient set up. It's common sense.

A lot can go wrong? Like what?
There are 3 fans and 2 switches... thats it.
If something did go wrong with ONE FAN, you will still have TWO
BACK UPs working.

When the HUGE Taurus fan craps out on you because the motor
gets hot, then what? I went through two Taurus fans before
I wised up and converted to the THREE 10" pusher fan set up...
which has delivered, with zero problems.

The Taurus fan will RUB, the Blades will shatter from the rubbing and twisting of the unibody, its bad bad bad set up.
It doesn't mount well, and it'd impossible to get the fan close to the radiator.
There will be a 1" gap... which it totally inefficient.

Even 3 10" pullers is better than the Taurus fan.
But 3 10" pushers is even better.
I've tried 4 different electric fan set ups,
and spent 100 hours + working to find the best
set up. I did the homework to see what works,
and what doesn't.

Back