• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally finished my rear bumper and skid.

hollywood32

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally was able to put two hole days off together with out it raining. So here are the final results of my first big fabrication attempt.

Here is the start from like 5 months ago.
IMG_7928.jpg

IMG_7920Small.jpg

Now with paint and new skid plate.
IMG_8171Medium.jpg

IMG_8172Medium.jpg

There are a few things I will eventually change or fix but for the most part I like it, definatly strong I've yanked out a few full size rigs with this bumper and landed on it once so atleast the design is strong, I did spin of one of the welded nuts on my c-channel nut strip so eventually I will have to take it back off and fix that but that can wait.

What thickness of steel did you use for the skid?I've been thinking about making my homebrew skid attach to the bumper like that for awhile.Are you using just the stock 8 bolts?Ifso I wouldn't trust those alone for recovery....

Looks like you have a pretty damn good departure angle now.....

Last edited:
outlander said:
What thickness of steel did you use for the skid?I've been thinking about making my homebrew skid attach to the bumper like that for awhile.Are you using just the stock 8 bolts?Ifso I wouldn't trust those alone for recovery....

Looks like you have a pretty damn good departure angle now.....

Skid is made of 3/16th hot rolled.

The bumper is tied into the frame rail with a C-Channel nut strip inside the unibody and then rocker gaurds are bolted into the sides using self taping bolts with the skid plate sandwiching everything together.

Back