• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard help!! need answers for tomorrow!

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this local junkyard is super cheap and i found a gold mine. So first off i found a fan from an 88' taurus and the same year tempo, can use either one?($17 for both) I also got 4 f-150 leaf spring packs one set with 5 leaves and one set with 6. These were $17 a piece. I got a hood vent from a turbo chrysler but there was only one so i got it for $5. Now for the big one, i found a Wagoneer with 6 lug axles on both front and rear what are they, d35, d44, anyone know, i have these pics from my cell phone to try to help. Also i found a high pinion i believe 44 out of a f-150 ranger but it has the castings for the radius arms, can i use this up front? and lastly i found a 14 bolt ot equivalent out of an older dodge any rear axle is only $30 and any front is just $60. If the wagoneer axles are 44's ill just take them but if not i will missmatch the ford axle with the dodge axle. I want them for my 36's cause the d30 and 8.25 won't last. Some one please school me here!!!
Taurus fan(2 pics)
fan1.jpg

fan4.jpg

Tempo fan(2 pics)
fan2.jpg

fan3.jpg

F-150 Ranger(3 pics)
ranger1.jpg

ranger2.jpg

ranger3.jpg

Waggy(4 pics)
wagoneer3.jpg

wagoneer2.jpg

wagoneer1.jpg

Don't know if this will do me any good to check?
vin1.jpg

So like i said does anyone know what these axles are?

Can't say anything about the Tempo fan cause I just don't know. The ranger axles are worthless to us Jeepers. Well the rear might be an 8.8, but I don't think it is. The fronts are twin traction beam, and would take some major fabbing to make them work. The waggy axles on hand should be 44's not a 100% sure on that though. If they are I would snag those up for sure.

EDIT: I'm sorry you said F150 ranger axles those are a whole different bal of wax. I would bet they are D44's too. Truthfull I'm not someone who can pick out axles by what they look like. I'm just going on what I've aways been told

Last edited:
What year is the F-150? That is a HP Dana 44 you show, and MOST 70's F-150's were HP 44's. Why don't you want to mix axles? They are, for the most part, the same, with different bracketry welded on them, aside from the 14 bolt. I say use whatever you want and don't worry about them not being all out of the same brand...

Last edited:
So i will snag the HP44 and the 14 bolf for sure but are those 6 lug axles 44's on the waggy? I appreciate the info i just wanna know if its gonna be a $90 trip or a $180 trip and have to borrow a truck to get 4 axles.

Those six lug axles on the jeep are D44 and would be well worth the $90. They are selling for $200- $300 around here.

No no its only 60 bucks for a complete front axle of any kind and 30 bucks for any rear axle of any kind so ill pay $180 for one d44 a HP44 a rear 44 and a 14 bolt!:laugh:

I would NOT get that front HP44. It has the cast wedges, which means that they are hollow inside the castings, no tubing. This means that unless you plan on running fullwidth, with the Ford radius arms, you are SOL with that axle. Not to mention it doesn't have the hubs or anything, and that spindle is rusted to hell.

The waggy axles look good. The front is low pinion but non disconect. IIRC the stock outers on this front are small 17 spline pieces or something though. Waggy rears are a little narrower than fronts. I think this was in order to give wagoneers a better turning radius.

The F-150 ranger D44 Is high pinion, a better option than a low pinion, but from the looks of things it needs a lot of work. I am also not suer if the OE did something stupid with the innards on fullsize ranger axles, OEM's can get brainfarts from time to time. The cast pieces are a pain if you plan to keep the stock tubes, but if you want to retube its not such a big deal, this will also give you the option of setting the width of the axle where you need it. There is a very good writeup in the advanced fab forum. If you haven't already done so, you may want to run a search on the Xota, particullary the latest installment of the build. I think this will help you a LOT with your decision. Also, is the 9" still on the back of that Ford with the D44 front? If so you may want to snag it as well. It is a good all around axle and is easy to play with and learn on if you dont have much experience in this area. The later years of the ford 9" had 31spline shafts.

I have heard mixed reviews of Dodge axles. Yes they are strong fullsize truck parts. The dodge Dana 60's from the mid 60's to early 90's are supposed to be almost bolt in for an XJ. I know that the spring perches are the same width as XJ perches. However upgrading these axles can be a PITA. A local club member put dodge 3/4 ton axles under his CJ7 and ran into trouble when he tried to find some type of drop in locker or spool for the rear. Everything he found required upgraded 30 spline aftermarket shafts. He had some other issues too but I did'n't really pay attention to what they were. I don't know anything about dodge 14 bolt axles.
What I would do is get the waggy rear and run that. I would get the waggy front and the Ford front and make a HP narrow width front bastard axle, with all the necesary upgrades all around.

PS: good luck with all of that rust, I don't know how you northerners can deal with it.

Last edited:
bradow said:
PS: good luck with all of that rust, I don't know how you northerners can deal with it.

Hey man...when you deal with it your whole life it second nature, its kinda like breathing.

Anyway, good info.

You can run that hp44 by using the ford radius arms, or you can shorten it and use the shafs out of the waggy 44 to have a stock width hp44 in the front. Here's how I shortened mine out of a '79 F-150. Cost me about $200 for the tube and to have the machine shop turn everything down to the perfect diameters to go back together. Just click on the thumbnail.
[URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560659926GJBRWX][/URL]

Damn straight i call these in CT i looked and looked and looked and couldnt find any 44's and the 60's i found were like $300 for the rear and almost a grand for the front!

On the waggy rear if the diff is round it is actually a model 20, these are just about as strong as D44's but the aftermarket is not quite as good. The dodge rear axle is either a D60 or D70 if it is full float or if it is semi-float it is a D60. You can get a set of cage or James Duff radius arms for the ford Hp44 and get some pretty good travel.

Back