• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slippery 4LO

greggcarini

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys,

I've a 4.0 XJ, 1990, just purchased. I've placed on Superior Super 30 and 35 axles, 4.56 ring and pinion, both ARB lockers, 4,5" lift.

I was then thinking to start using my XJ, after two months closed in the garage, BUT...

when I put in offroad the 4LO, after few hundreds meters I feel that I've the rear only traction, still in low range, but witout front traction.

I've checked the link, that seems not interfering with nothing and that seems correctly regualted.

What do you think could be?

Please, take note that the 242 T/Case make no noise...

Thanks for your reply,

Greg

Do you have a vacuum disconnect front axle?

If you do, the vacuum diaphragm breaks down from oil contamination and quits pulling in the slider to engage the front axle - no 4WD.

Lots of options at that point - a new vac disco - $$$, or cable operated - from a few bucks to $125 for the marketed one, or, just flip it - take it off, block the slider in the engaged position with washers or a hose clamp, and reinstall it upside down in the engaged position. I've run mine like that for years, the later models do because they have no disconnect.

Then you get to tear out all those silly plastic hoses and use them on the engine. A later model electric switch on the t-case will activate the dash light for those who can't remember they put it in 4WD.

If you don't have an axle disconnect, hmmm.

thanks for the help, I really appreciate your suggestion, but:
1. It's not a vacuum disconnect
2. I've just spend 8 hours trying to adjusting the linkage, without any results.

Any other suggestion? Do you think I've to swap my t-case? In this case, do you suggest my to take another 242 or a 231?

Thanks again for your precious support!

Greg

greggcarini said:
thanks for the help, I really appreciate your suggestion, but:
1. It's not a vacuum disconnect
2. I've just spend 8 hours trying to adjusting the linkage, without any results.

Any other suggestion? Do you think I've to swap my t-case? In this case, do you suggest my to take another 242 or a 231?

Thanks again for your precious support!

Greg

Not to hijack but how does one go about adjusting the linkage.

1- Remove the shiftlever bezel (not the whole
2- move the shift lever into 4l position
3- Insert 1/8" spacer between shift lever and forward edge of shift lever gate, pull lever back and secure it with tape
4- raise vehicle
5- loosen trunion lock bolt on linkage rod (13mm) linkage rod should move freely in the trunion.
6- double check that shift lever hasn't moved
7-posision the linkage rod so it is a free fit in the range lever, and tighten the trunion nut.
8-remove the spacer,tape and re-install shifter bezel

Let me know how it works I haven't tried it yet -boss will kick my ass if he finds me working on the jeep in the shop again on his time

If the T-case isn't making any noise, I wouldn't think it would be that. But you could probably drain the fluid, make sure it drains into something CLEAN if you want to put the fluid back in (only if its still good) and check for metal chunks/shavings.

If you need/want to replace/rebuild your transfercase, I would just put a 231 in. Its a little stronger, from what I understand.

85xj4dr said:
If the T-case isn't making any noise, I wouldn't think it would be that. But you could probably drain the fluid, make sure it drains into something CLEAN if you want to put the fluid back in (only if its still good) and check for metal chunks/shavings.

If you need/want to replace/rebuild your transfercase, I would just put a 231 in. Its a little stronger, from what I understand.

Not completely true.

I'm back from another 4 hrs spent trying to adjust the linkage, BUT I've some news:
1. Only in twist the 4lo came out. Driving on plain surface, no problem at all...
2. I've noted that my rear driveshaft driveshaft has a really bed angle and is out for 2 inches from the correct positioning.

Do you think that is possible that, cause to bed angle, when driveshaft stress the tcase, it disengage the front traction?
I'll for sure solve the driveshaft problem,but in the meantime, what you think? Could be?

;-)

Last edited:
badly worn motor and t case mounts will have something to do with it popping out of 4l, mine up until yesterday (when I adjusted it) would pop out of 4l when letting of the gas going downhill

Back