• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC Grinding Noise

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
My old TC and the one used one I just put in it, make a bad grinding noise going into 4 Hi from N. It also grinds a little bit going into Lo, but not too bad. Is this normal? Is there something I need to do to get rid of the grinding noise?

Also, It's a b*tch going from N to 4 Hi. I'm sure I can take care of the hard shifting, it's the grinding noise that really concerns me.

Why does the TC grind while shifting into 4wd when the transmission is in neutral? It seems to me that nothing would be turning in neutral and the Jeep stopped. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks.

Does your shifter have a bit of play in it? If not, i'd get under the rigs and spray penetrating fluid all over the linkage and work it back and forth a bit. If this doesn't work your linkage is probably worn and will either need replacing or adjusting.

Cherokee Freak said:
Does your shifter have a bit of play in it? If not, i'd get under the rigs and spray penetrating fluid all over the linkage and work it back and forth a bit. If this doesn't work your linkage is probably worn and will either need replacing or adjusting.

I just adjusted it today, sprayed silicon lube all over and worked the lever back and forth for a minute or two. I haven't been able to test it out yet, but with luck, I will tomorrow.

I just don't understand how the gears in the TC can be turning with the Jeep stopped and in neutral. Just wondering if someone could explain it.

Cherokee Freak said:
What year is the XJ and what package does it have?

The 4.0L engine and AW4 tranny and electrical are 1992.

The NP231 TC is a 1994, but it made the same noise with the original 1992 NP231. For that reason, I'm sure it is a linkage issue.

It has a 4.5" lift without a TC drop. It worked fine with no grinding going into 4wd after the lift. It was after a ~1hr trail ride in 4 Lo, low on TC fluid, that I first started having the problems with the TC.

Do you need to know anything else?

I have a 92 and a 2000 in the driveway and I just went out and moved them every which way and I can give an idea if the rig was in motion but you have me totally stumped on a T-case thats grinding while the vehicle is stationary.

Cherokee Freak said:
I have a 92 and a 2000 in the driveway and I just went out and moved them every which way and I can give an idea if the rig was in motion but you have me totally stumped on a T-case thats grinding while the vehicle is stationary.

Thanks for checking it out on your Jeeps. Now you have me wondering if it isn't something else hat is going on. The tranny shifts fine whiel driving it, so I don't think it is anything to do with the tranny. I wonder if a bad tranny mount would cause something like this. I just had it out a couple days ago, but it didn't seem bad to me.

When I adjusted the linkage tonight, it was only slightly out of adjustment. I mean, the rod only moved like 1/32-1/16 of an inch. I guess that could have been enough for the TC to not completely engage 4 Hi.

Also, I noticed the there is a hard click into 2 Hi, 4 Hi and Neutral, but 4 Lo doesn't "click" into gear, it just kind of stops. It doesn't pop out of 4 Lo though.

I hope someone else can chime in about the grinding while stationary and in neutral though. In the meantime, I'm going to keep searching.

Cherokee Freak said:
It doesn't pop out of four low.......are you saying it pops out of four high?

No, the one I just replaced did.

I have been reading a lot of threads on here. One guy said that if you shift into 4 Hi while in neutral, it will make a grinding noise. I will try shifting into 4 Hi while still in drive. I only shift to 4 Hi while neutral because all my previous TC problems has gotten me paranoid.

I think I'm going to concentrate all my efforts on getting the linkage adjusted properly. I also am thinking about replacing the linkage bushings, i'm guessing they are a dealer item only.

I wonder if your clutch is not disengaging all the way and it might be spinning just enough to cause a little binding when shifting the T/C but not enough to move the vehicle.?

OK, I wrote the text below thinking TC was Torque Converter, just dawned on me that It can also mean Transfer Case. :twak:

Since I don't know for sure which one you mean, I will leave the text below in this post.

The TC (Torque Converter) is spinning all the time, one side of it is bolted to the crankshaft, IIRC. It's the clutches in the tranny and in the TC that lock and unlock. In neutral his problem should have nothing to do with the TC, but are related to the transfer case and 4wd modes.

IIRC some (if not all) of the 4WD Transfer case shifting must be done while in gear and with the jeep moving, and should never be done in neutral. I forget the exact details as I rarely use mine, go search for four wheel drive shifting instructions in an old thread here for the exact details.

If the TC (Torque Converter) was really messed up you would notice it even in park, and especially in drive with 2WD.

I am now guessing you meant transfer case, so once again I suggest you search and ask in an older thread about 4WD transfer case shifting. It may also depend (IIRC) on which case you have.

If you start a new thread try using Transfer case grinding noise!

Thanks for the replies guys. I adjusted it last night and lubed it up really good. I tried it in Hi and 4 Lo today. It shifted a lot smoother and only made a quick little gear-grind type noise shifting into 4 Lo. I shifted into 4Hi while in drive and it "snapped" right in smoothly with no noise at all. I'm extremely satisfied and can't wait to hit the trails again!!!:gee:

Back