• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap - '93 XJ 4.0L

DJFriar

NAXJA Forum User
So, my wife killed her 4.0L due to a lower radiator hose failure. Its her daily driver, an dI need to get it repaired. My idea is to just swap the engine, and then I'll use the old one to rebuild and learn on.

For my engine swap, I'm looking at a few different '00 & '01 4.0L, but I'm hearing lots of different stories about if they work or not. I have every accessory that came on my '93 4.0L.

My questions are:

1) Is there a year range I have to use? If so, why is it limited to that range?
2) If I get a 2000 4.0L, what do I need to do to make it work in my '93?

you'll need to stick to 91-99 distributor ignition engines, if you want to retain your old ECM, sensors, and just wrap the new engine with old controls.

the 00 and 01 cherokees have a DIS ignition, and a different ECM and engine sensors, as well as different manifolds, heads, and minor cylinder block differences

the least trouble is to use the model year range from 91-94, since they are all the same beast. In 1995 the fuel system changed and became returnless and higher pressure with an in-tank pressure regulator.

putting a 00 in a 93 would also require an ECM, ignition and sensor transplant, since its cam only drives the oil pump, it has a block off plate over the unused distributor mount.
Also the 00 head has bosses for the DIS coil rail, and the split exhaust manifold has ports for dual O2 sensors. The 00 ECM needs all of its goodies installed. 00-01 is really a complete package. It lived up to 2006 in the wrangler.

Some folks use the 00 intake manifold for cheap horsepower, and keep their old, higher flow head.

Ok, in that case. here are my options:

1998 TJ 4.0L w/ 118k $600 (includes A/C and ECU, perhaps more)
1995 XJ 4.0 w/ Auto Tranny - 80k miles $900 for all, should be complete
2000 TJ 4.0 w/ 28k $600 (includes most the front accessories)

I haven't gone to the junkyards yet, that's tomorrow's project. If I go to the junkyard, then I guess which should I do:

1) Look for '91-'94, and grab just the block
2) Look for newest I can find, but grab everything attached to it.
3) Some hybrid of the above........

DJFriar said:
Ok, in that case. here are my options:

1998 TJ 4.0L w/ 118k $600 (includes A/C and ECU, perhaps more)

1995 XJ 4.0 w/ Auto Tranny - 80k miles $900 for all, should be complete

2000 TJ 4.0 w/ 28k $600 (includes most the front accessories)

I haven't gone to the junkyards yet, that's tomorrow's project. If I go to the junkyard, then I guess which should I do:

1) Look for '91-'94, and grab just the block

2) Look for newest I can find, but grab everything attached to it.

3) Some hybrid of the above........

Go with the '95, is basically the same exact thing as what you have in the '93

DJFriar said:
Also, is there any difference between engines mated to an auto and one mated to a stick?

No.

a few months ago i swapped a 99 xj 4.0l in to a 92 xj. the swap was stright forward. i stripped everything for the 99 motor. basicaly long block. i then put evrything off the 92 on it. the onlything that did not swap was the idiot light sensor at the back of the block. i had to swap everything becouse the 99 had different plugs for everything

i have put 5000 miles on sence chrismas. no problems to repost and im got 19mpg

Back