• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputtering Xj

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
have a 91 with HO 4.0 auto. just changed out the tps and IAC. seems to have a steady idle and runs good. but if i step on it it sputters as it accelerates to higher speeds. The check engine lights on. the xj only arms up to 180 degree. any ideas thanx.

89xj said:
did this happen before you installed the new tps and IAC?
before it wouldnt keep a steady idle and shifted weird so we changed the sensors but now its fine. only thing is when you step on the gas to accel to high speeds, i sputters and also on the speedo you can see it go up and down, kinda like a rev limiter or something.

Seems like every XJ i've seen cuts out a little right above idle. But only when you put your foot down. I'm not sure if this is your exact problem,but I know either way it sucks. But is yours cutting out all over the rpm range? Or just of idle like I mentioned?

CrunchnMunch said:
Seems like every XJ i've seen cuts out a little right above idle. But only when you put your foot down. I'm not sure if this is your exact problem,but I know either way it sucks. But is yours cutting out all over the rpm range? Or just of idle like I mentioned?
idles fine now but if i "step on it" the gas pedal, it cuts out to where its kinda restricted, if i gradually punch it then it wont cut out. the check engne light is still on :(

If the CEL is coming on, check the codes for answers.

Back