• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough country shocks long enough?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i recently got a rough country 3" lift on my xj and now i want to add 1" spacers in front and 1" shackles in the back. will the shocks from my 3" kit accomodate for the new height?

they'll WORK, but probably not optimally...

don't shocks usually have a "range" that they will work for? like some shocks say that they are for a 2"-4" lift right. so does anyone know what the range would be for these shocks?

They should be fine at 4", but the shocks that come with RCs kits are not very good in the first place. Mine lasted about a year and a half (I think), with only about three trips off road and those were not even on moderate level trails. I would recommend getting some better shocks.

FYI: the shocks that came with mine were the Heckethorn (sp?) Hydraulic shocks and I started with the RC 3" lift kit also.

i had the same 3" lift and when I asked grimuss(Jason) from RC about going up an inch he said that they would not work. maybe he just wanted to make a sale...but thats not like him....

my .02

4x4life05 said:
i had the same 3" lift and when I asked grimuss(Jason) from RC about going up an inch he said that they would not work. maybe he just wanted to make a sale...but thats not like him....

my .02

I ran them at 4.5" and had some moderate flex on a couple occasions and they seemed fine. I am not sure when they failed, but the rears were really shot when I changed them all out a couple weeks ago.

the shocks that came with my 4.5 rc kit was the same size as the ones that came with my 3" rc kit few years back

Im running Procomp 3" coils and a 2" Spacer on procomp fixed lower arms. Im running the procomp 3" shocks that came with the kit and they do fine. The shock isnt really the limiting factor on mine because it stops flexing when the arm hits the spring bucket/bracket, which just so happens to be right when the shock travel runs out. Ill post a few pics of before and after flex and they are the exact same. If the Rough Country kit flexes and is designed like the procomp id say it would be fine.

Before spacers

n12703603_32490646_3926.jpg

After, with my dad behind the wheel

SD530476.jpg

yeah i bought a RC lift back when they still called it a 3.5

i'm using the same shocks with my extra 2 inches which puts me at 5.5

they work great.

i get an awesome ride also

i hear a lot of people slam on RC but in my opinion if you cant afford an OME lift. RC is the way to go.

its cheap and they ride awesome and mine has never failed me.

i put some 2 or 3 inch shock "spacers" in when i did the lift and it gave me almost no up travel.

i ended up having to pull them off.

i havent measured them to see how long they are when i'm fully articulated but i think the upper control arm is what's holding me up more than the shock is.

trailworthyxj said:
Im running Procomp 3" coils and a 2" Spacer on procomp fixed lower arms. Im running the procomp 3" shocks that came with the kit and they do fine. The shock isnt really the limiting factor on mine because it stops flexing when the arm hits the spring bucket/bracket, which just so happens to be right when the shock travel runs out. Ill post a few pics of before and after flex and they are the exact same. If the Rough Country kit flexes and is designed like the procomp id say it would be fine.

Before spacers

n12703603_32490646_3926.jpg

After, with my dad behind the wheel

SD530476.jpg

looks to me you brake line is whats stopping you. do you plan on extending those?

userbmx1315 said:
looks to me you brake line is whats stopping you. do you plan on extending those?

A brake line would rip the bracket off before it would stop downward travel. I wheeled it like it was in the first pic for 5 years with no problems. When i added the spacers i added some rough country braided stainless steel brake lines for a 6.5 inch lift. A little long but gives me enough room to grow a little bit in the future. You can see them in the second pic.

trailworthyxj said:
A brake line would rip the bracket off before it would stop downward travel. I wheeled it like it was in the first pic for 5 years with no problems. When i added the spacers i added some rough country braided stainless steel brake lines for a 6.5 inch lift. A little long but gives me enough room to grow a little bit in the future. You can see them in the second pic.

yea i see them. what flares are thos? stocks modified? i like them

Yeah they are just the stock flares mounted higher on the fender and cut for the wider opening. They just have holes drilled in them and attached with sheetmetal screws. I'll see if i have any closer pics later. My internet is messing up on me right now.

Back