• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyo Open Country MT's vs. Wrangler MTR's

This thread should be in Tech. I run Goodyear MTR's. A little loud but it adds character. I've heard Open Country MTs are quieter and smoother but stiffer?

Oh, can that be changed? sorry. I've been looking at the Toyo Open Countrys MT's kinda wanna tried them, but would like to hear from others just like the Agressiveness on that tire.....Frankie

I think Clean-RC runs the Toyos. I believe they have some pretty beefy sidewalls.

I'm thinking about these for my upcoming set:
Nitto Mud Grappler
ttt-200650_w.jpg

They should look AWESOME at the Metrolink train station! Seems to be about the only place I go these day.... :rattle:

bburge

bburge said:
I'm thinking about these for my upcoming set:
Nitto Mud Grappler
ttt-200650_w.jpg

They should look AWESOME at the Metrolink train station! Seems to be about the only place I go these day.... :rattle:

bburge
my buddy ran mud grapplers on his ford and hated em. very loud and shakey. he got rid of them after 3 months, but he never took em off road.

GrimmJeeper said:
my buddy ran mud grapplers on his ford and hated em. very loud and shakey. he got rid of them after 3 months, but he never took em off road.
ya no one i know that drives thier rig on pavment with those tires likes them unless they like swampers they have a lot of the same problems with balancing and fast wear

xjfrankie said:
I would like to know.....who? runs these on pavement and off-road for DD.

-Frankie

I sell a ton of Toyo's on trucks that never see the dirt and nobody ever complains. The Toyo's have a lot of rolling resistance!! but pretty quite.

FordGuy said:
I sell a ton of Toyo's on trucks that never see the dirt and nobody ever complains. The Toyo's have a lot of rolling resistance!! but pretty quite.

I got the 37" toyos on my Tow Rig with 70K miles on um and they work fine but no off road stuff (on icy roads they suck).......SANTA

I have the Toyos in a 33x13.5. They are fairly quite for an M/T, I just came from BFG A/T's and the noise isn't that much louder. I think they look great,

They do good offroad, I've only wheeled twice since I've gotten them, (not much time/broken). I had no complaints, I really enjoyed them. I've driven them a ton on sand, and they work good. I seem to remember spinning my tires less the last times I was offroad though.
Here is a video from one of the trips, don't know if it helps you at all, but i just thought I might share. http://youtube.com/watch?v=fPyr49GL2PY

On road, once you start rolling, you can feel the tread a little bit, but I'm sure most tires are like that. Once you get past like a slow roll, they are smooth and drive good.

They are a heavy bastard though, I just weighed one of my tires, with a 15x10 cragar soft 8, 110lbs for one tire and rim.

I've never run MTR's, so I can't compare.

Last edited:
Hahaha, this thread is exactly the thread I was going to start. I'm doing a lift in a couple of weeks and had whittled it down to these two tires. I used to run MTRs on my TJ and loved them. I've been leaning towards running them again, but the Toyo's look good too.

I'd love to hear more feedback from those that run Toyos.

I think the one huge difference between MTR's and Toyo's are the side wall's, There is no comparison between the two. I have replaced many MTR's with sidewall's ripped and none on Toyo's. I also have seen so many Offroad racecars run Toyo,. Hankook, Maxxis and if you were to ask those guy's if they would try BFG or Goodyear they would laugh. Just a observation, not a opinion.

My buddy is running a set of the Toyos (33's) on his TJ and loves them. He had two set sof BFG's, (MT and AT) and says the toyos are better hands down. He even likes them in the snow.

I would have gone that route but they were a bit pricey for my tastes.

I have been MTR's for over a year and no noise on the pavement and great offroad. Never even seen toyo's on the trail in my area. Most of the guys I run with use TSL's or some kind of swampers. See a lot of toyo's on the street on lifted 2wd trucks.

I have the Cooper STTs. The tread pattern is very similar to the Toyos. I like them. They have worked well for me in most situations.

If you like the Toyo M/Ts and GY MTRs yopu need to look at Maxxis Bighorns. They are a mix of those 2 tires almost. The biggest they come is 35s though which is what I run on my CJ. And I love them and they work great offroad and ride great on road. They are wearing fine and should last for 35-40k miles easily. And they can be bought for a good bit less then then the Toyos and Goodyears are way overpriced. Take a look and see what ya think. I love mine and plan on putting some on my XJ when I lift it.

IMHO, the MT/R's were the hot rock tire when first introduced. In the following years quite a few other tough tires with decent manners have equaled or maybe surpassed the MT/R overall.
That being said, my MT/R's have been a high quality tire with no odd quirks or problems. They are getting louder with age, but my tire rotation habits are, uh, well they suck. :confused1 No complaints.

Back