• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Somewhat custom exhaust question

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
I think i know the answer to this, but its one of those "check before I really mess somethign up" types of things.

The exhast mount off the tranny (or off the support) is ratteling against my exhaust since I modified it. I have installed sufficient hangers but was unable to reuse this hanger. It is just a piece of steel with rubber inside to hold the exhaust... Can I simply cut the entire piece of steel off so I dont shake against it anymore? I was fine until I realized that I needed one more exhaust clamp right next to that hanger, and now it rattles cause of the lost space from putting the clamp there. Only other option I have is welding but I would rather avoid that since I would have to borrow a welder and my friend with one is away (and I leave for school soon so time is real tight, esp when I work all day and he works later when home), and the floor is out on the passenger side and could easily get an angle grinder in there to take it off.

my question more or less is simply, can I take that off or would it cause issues with balance (not sure if the tranny is balanced in any way or anything) or structural issues?

ummm, i just cut mine off when i did my exhaust. never had a problem with it.....except that the other hangars are sagging now and my exhaust sits on the crossmember, but hey, that's not the issue now is it!?

Be sure to support the exhaust as good as you can, espeicially on that end. The wieght of the exhaust hanging on the header is a one of the reasons so many of them are cracked.

Ok, sounds good, thanks, Ill probably end up throwing one more hanger up front then, but I havent been using the front hanger since I got the Jeep, its just always been a point to cause noise, so figure it cant hurt to get rid of it.

Back