• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone remove factory racks?

OverTheHillsATTW

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get my racks off my 90 and 91 laredo but I can't seem to fit my TORX into those small angle holes.:bawl: Anyone have a good way for getting these buggers off?

I never had a problem, 3/8s torx bit set and a speedwrench, be prepared to buy new well nuts! 19 year old rubber doesn't hold up to much. I chose to leave my rack off, and used 1/4 inch plugs and sealant to take care of the holes - Looks way better to me.

Eh guess I'll just keep trying. I have socket torx they def wont fit through the holes. Maybe i'll stop by harbor freight and buy some screwdriver type.

thanks guys.

You could do what I did. Attach a big Conferr roof rack to the rails and then remove the rack by rolling the rig. Go to Auto Zone and pick up a set of "L" shaped torx wrenches. Those worked easier than rolling. Silicone the plugs and you should be good. Silicone is still holding up after 5 years.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
Eh guess I'll just keep trying. I have socket torx they def wont fit through the holes. Maybe i'll stop by harbor freight and buy some screwdriver type.

thanks guys.

Hallo. A great help,is to use a strong magnet together with your torxsocket.
The screws dont fall into the rails.:clap:
If you are using the bend type of torxkeys. ,hold the magnat against it and the bolts will not fall.

Last edited:
Back