• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Can help

strikedistance

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up some nice 5 gallons gas cans a little while ago. There in great condition but i was wondering what would be a good way to clean the inside of them. I wanted to get them cleaned up before i took them on a trip.
I know you shouldn't use water.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks
Bruce
IMG_0844r.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

lol....clean 'em out with gas.... no but seriously a bit of gas swished around and then ditched is usually all you would need... either that or i guess some carb cleaner or something?

How bad are they? If it's just assorted loose yock, a half-pint to a pint of gasoline swished around will do. Put it in a metal bowl and use a fireplace match to light it for disposal (don't put the match in the fuel - hold it above the fuel to light it, and let it burn off. Do not put out with water! Use sand or baking soda if it gets out of control...)

Any other organic solvent will also work - denatured alcohol, acetone, toluene - and all can be disposed of the same way.

Throw a bottle of rubbing alcohol in there and swish it around, then dump. Under a buck.

I just looked in them. One is actually spotless which is surprising for them being 20 years old. The other one is a little grimy and has some crud in the bottom. I guess there not to bad after all. Now all I have to find is some rubber O-rings that go around the top. There all cracked.
Thanks for the help.

strikedistance said:
I just looked in them. One is actually spotless which is surprising for them being 20 years old. The other one is a little grimy and has some crud in the bottom. I guess there not to bad after all. Now all I have to find is some rubber O-rings that go around the top. There all cracked.
Thanks for the help.

Check the Army/Navy store for those cap gaskets - I find them at my local all the time.

Back