• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL, sluggish speedometer

xjon

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj with auto tranny. 115k miles.

The other day the check engine light comes on and the only thing I notice on the guages is that my speedometer doesn't react in real time. It plays catch up. I start going and after a few seconds my speedometer starts and it eventually registers the current speed if going at a constant speed.

Did a search but the symptoms I found are not similar to mine. So I was wondering if anyone had the same issues? Is it the speed sensor going bad that needs to be replaced soon? Should I still get a code reader and check for codes?

Thanks

If you have a check engine light ALWAYS pull codes first and see what it says. Then you can come up with a logical strategy for repair. Use the OBD2 technology provided to you by your Jeep.

A lot of the big box parts stores (Advance Auto Zone, etc) will read the codes for free in the hopes that you will buy any needed parts from them. Or you can go to any shop and they should be able to pull the codes for a very minimum charge. If you are unsure as to how to interpret the codes, post back here for some help!

Yes, no need to guess, get the codes from the computer first. Sometimes after you look them up, they can still be confusing as to the real problem but this is the best place to start.

I bet you just have a faulty sensor and the code will tell you which one.

I wish the manufacturer would just put a USB port on the computer and you could download the driver from their website!!! :D

Murphy's law kicked in. Heading for autozone the cel was off. Plugged in the reader and got a po442 code which is the evap emission control system leak. So i cranked the fuel cap for the hell of it. Cleared the code, drove around a bit and checked for codes again. Reader says "pass". My speedo is still sluggish. No CEL.

If it was a speed sensor problem, would it have still showed up on the reader although the CEL was off?

I think you may be dealing with two separate problems. Hopefully the recent CEL was due to hydrocarbons escaping and being detected due to the loose gas cap. The speedo problem may have nothing to do with the code you saw but for your information, if you have a check engine light, even if the light goes off, it does set a retrievable code.

so not having a retrievable code, that means that my CEL and sluggish speedo has got nothing to do with each other? Got it.

So what could be the problem with my speedo? Other than the speed sensor, what else could be the culprit?

Thanks for the replies.

In all my years of wrenching on my vehicles, I haven't had 1 speedometer problem so I'm hoping that somebody with some experience chimes in here so we can all learn about them together!

I have never had a speedo problem, but if I did on my XJ, I would first run the actuator test first to see if the gauge cluster seems to respond correctly.

(1) Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.

(2) Depress the trip odometer reset button.
(3) While holding the trip odometer reset button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
(4) Release the trip odometer reset button.

Watch closely, you will see the gauge cluster cycle through a self test, in 2 sec increments.
When your speedo moves it should position at 0, 20, 55, 80, 100, 80, 55, 20, 0, 0

If this seems to function properly, I would rule out the cluster as the problem.

cluster not a problem. Did the actuator test which all dials and lights went thru some cycle. The speedo dial went thru the cycle as described above. That's a neat trick! Thanks.

Anything else? Thinking of pulling the trigger on a speed sensor. Any idea on how much that should cost?

i am having a similiar problem on my 93 i figured it was the VSS so i changed that and checked the speedo gear which was new a year ago when i changed the tire size i changed the gear ... no success, is it hard to get behind the cluster to check the wires?i also tried the test mentioned by Mcque and none of the gauges moved the speedo did bounce a little but not even past 5 mph with the key off it is below 0???please help i would like to get this fixed so i can sell the jeep!

I am having a problem with the speedo regestering zero for the first 20 minutes and then it kicks in and registers accurately. Comments please

Clean the wire connector at the transfer case speedo sensor. Inspect the wires fro damage and/or chafed insulation.

Back