• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference between a '93 and '99 XJ

CJCOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
What is the differnce between the drivetrain between the two and what are the pros and cons. Also, what are the differences between the interiors.
Thanks

If your looking at a 99' model I would personally stay away from any jeep with the 0331 casting number on the head as they are prone to cracking. You can find the casting number on the right side of the engine inbetween the #3 & 4 cylinders right beside the valve cover. As for the most noticeable difference...the 99' was the first year for the completely redesigned intake manifold. It's a dual plenum design which is alot larger and more rounded, where as the pre 99's are a log style intake.

Interesting question as I've owned two XJ's: one a 1993 and the other a 1999.

Drivetrains are the same with an AW4 for the auto and AX15 for the manual with either 231 or 242 transfer cases. The intake manifold (as noted above) was redesigned in '99, but no other major differences. In 2000 the XJ went distributorless and got the (less disirable) low pinion Dana 30.

The interior is different, with a new dashboard and center console (with cupholders!) The seats mount differently to the floor (changed in 1995, I believe.)

Outside, the front grill and surrounds changed, the hatch now has interior hinges, and the bumper ends are extended further back onto the body. A 1993 has a plastic rear hatch while the 1999's is sheet metal.

All in all, a thorough refresh of the design, but nothing MAJOR.

In 96, there was a significant change in the rear driveshaft, specifically the design of the slip yoke. The later ones are said to be more prone to vibration. I have not noticed this between my 95 and 99, but it is a very different driveshaft.

A very big improvement was made in 97 in the location of the anchor points for the parking brake cables, no big deal if you drive an auto but a big hairy deal for us stick shifters. The 99 parking brake actually works.

The later interior has less storage than the earlier ones, if that is possible. Gone is the little shelf below the glove compartment, and some of the little recesses in the console, and the big ash tray. The instrument panel is redesigned, in part for the passenger side airbags, and there is less space to mount any additional switches or other gadgets. The power window and lock switches on the later ones are better placed, the console box is smaller but now designed for CD's, and fairly functional cup holders are now cast into the console (they moved the brake lever sideways a bit for this). The later interior looks a little more updated, less like something designed by AMC in 1984, if that's something you care about.

There was a seat and steering column change in 95 when they got driver side airbags. The later seats are still all right, but in my opinion they are not quite as nice as the deluxe version of the old ones, and there is no option for the tilting base. The steering column and its controls on the 95 were a step down, with a really lousy wiper control that makes it common to accidentally actuate the wipers when signalling turns, and horn buttons that never seem to be where you need them. The 99 has yet another generation of controls, presumably introduced in 97, which is better laid out, though for some unaccountable reason, both lack a single-wipe position, which I miss.

Back