• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carpet cleaning?

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
so i spilled some used motor oil and gear oil on the passenger side rear carpet. ok not some, nearly a gallon. i had the used oil sitting on the floor while i headed to auto zone to drop it off for recycling. i hadn't noticed one of the gallon containers had fallen over and the cap had all but fallen off.

my plan is to pull the carpet out and clean it.

88 Limited AW4 np242

any tips on removal and especially any tips on what i should use to clean it?

same thing happened to me I pulled my carpet took it to the car wash soaked it down with tire cleen the green stuff then used high pressure soap then high pressure rinse works great and no mess at home

Ok i got a simple solution since there will be almost no way possible to get all the oil out. Pick up a floor mat of the same color as your carpet. Cut out the oil stain and sew the patch in. Seen it done on a bronco and it looked really clever.

Cleaning the carpet with regular vacuuming can be a successful way to removing the stain and dirt over the carpet! Baking soda, vinegar or the homemade cleaners like detergent are the effective way for carpet cleaning!

"..."

I have a PhD in carpet cleaning.

Go to your local grocery store and rent a Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment. Mix up 2 oz of Castrol Super Clean and a scoop of OxyClean in about a gallon of very hot water in a bucket. Fill the Rug Doctor with hot water only.

Pour about half of the soap mixture on the carpet and take a scrub brush to it. Then use the carpet attachment with the hot water only to suck up the gunk. Continue until the water comes out clean. Then pour the rest of the soapy water on the carpet and repeat the procedure.

While you are at it, mix up some more soap and use the scrub brush and hit the seats. Again, use the upholstery attachement with the hot water only to suck up ALL of the soap.

You would be surprised how good the seats can look.

Beware that once you start letting the upholstery/carpet to dry, dirt may wick up from underneath and you may want to go over it once more with hot water only.

I have rescued a ton of seats and carpet this way. My rig is 27 years old and the upholstery other than being worn, still looks like new. I raised three daughters and three dogs on white carpet. I actually bought a Rug Doctor about 10 years ago. I hit each vehicle probably about every 3-6 months.

If the OP hasn't gotten the stain out by now, he likely never will.

:)

I have a PhD in carpet cleaning.

Go to your local grocery store and rent a Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment. Mix up 2 oz of Castrol Super Clean and a scoop of OxyClean in about a gallon of very hot water in a bucket. Fill the Rug Doctor with hot water only.

Pour about half of the soap mixture on the carpet and take a scrub brush to it. Then use the carpet attachment with the hot water only to suck up the gunk. Continue until the water comes out clean. Then pour the rest of the soapy water on the carpet and repeat the procedure.

While you are at it, mix up some more soap and use the scrub brush and hit the seats. Again, use the upholstery attachement with the hot water only to suck up ALL of the soap.

You would be surprised how good the seats can look.

Beware that once you start letting the upholstery/carpet to dry, dirt may wick up from underneath and you may want to go over it once more with hot water only.

I have rescued a ton of seats and carpet this way. My rig is 27 years old and the upholstery other than being worn, still looks like new. I raised three daughters and three dogs on white Fort Worth carpet cleaning. I actually bought a Rug Doctor about 10 years ago. I hit each vehicle probably about every 3-6 months.
Anyone got any recommendations of good companies to go with? Anyone to steer clear of?

Back