• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ left turn signal not working

calvynandhobbs

NAXJA Forum User
My daughter is taking her state road test in a couple weeks to get her license and the left turn signal is not blinking. Right turn signal works fine. Could this be the relay in the fuse box or is it going to be a cam in the steering column. I've read just about every thread on the ignition system, but I didn't see anything with just one side blinker not blinking. I have her doing it manually right now when she drives with me, but they won't pass her vehicle if she tests with it this way. Thanks

Roger

check to see if the front and rear bulbs for the left blinkers are working.
if yes, replace the flasher/relay. the hazzard and blinker flasher/relay should be the same, so you could swap them to see if thats the problem.

i may be wrong but if you cant feel a physical difference i think id go with checking the bulb first. then id use a test light at the blinker wiring. if theres no power there id buy a relay ull need one one day anyway even if its not the problem. if it still doesnt work use a test light on the wiring in the steering column. no power there? then test the hot going to the switch if thats got juice get a new blinker switch (im sure a junkyard one would work i dont hear of these going out often.)
im sure someone else will chime in with better ideas =P

Thanks for the replys. The blinker hasn't worked for a couple days, but then just now on my way home it worked fine for a couple of left turns and then didn't work on my last left. I'll be pulling the bulbs out and steel brushing or lightly sanding the bulbs and the sockets out to make sure I have a good contact and hope that solves everything for now.

I had absolutely no success with cleaning it. I went to Pepboys and got a new socket for like 7$ and replaced it. Worked perfect since then. Prior to buying a new one, I grabbed one from a junkyard. It was bad too. Ideally, buy a new one since the failure rate seems to be very high.

Back