• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle Swap Problem

Wounded XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was doing this swap this weekend when I ran into clearance problems with the rotor. When I put the rotor on it does not leave room for the caliper bracket in the rear and it hits the steering heim in the front. It is like I need another spacer on the knuckle to push the unit bearing a 1/4" further out. Here is what I'm working with:

89 Jeep Cherokee Dana 30 with the 89 unit bearings
WJ knuckles with JKS spacers welded on
2001 Ford Sport Trac rotors.

I picked up some WJ rotor today and was going to drill them. Measuring them they are a little different than the Sport Trac rotors and it will make some difference, but I think I will still have spacing issues. Anyone run into this while doing their swap and if you did what did you do to correct it?

I had a similar problem when I did the brake on my 90. Went to napa to turn the rotor , they say out of tolerance, I say I'll buy new ones. I go home, NO fXXXing fitty because the rotor hit the caliper bracket, I grumble back to napa, we investigate, turns out I had 89 parts(probably because mines a early 90 model, just a guess) The fXXXing rotors I had were in tolerance so I tell the guy "go get em out of the dumpster and turn em! Problem solve 3 hours later. On a side note I have the cop rearend with bastard brakes, I learn that one the hard way too. My XJ sucks so bad but I LOVE IT! But I would look at unit bearings from the new ones. That does jack up the cost ALOT though. Sucky! Hope you find A quick, easy, and safe solution. good luck.

Which unit bearings are you using. I discovered that I had to put spacers between the caliper brackets and knuckles an then everything lined up and I used 2001 sport-trac rotors with a MM hub kit.

CartsXJ said:
Which unit bearings are you using. I discovered that I had to put spacers between the caliper brackets and knuckles an then everything lined up and I used 2001 sport-trac rotors with a MM hub kit.

Like stated in the 1st post, he's using 89 unit bearings (The mistake) and has figured that out.

OP said:
89 Jeep Cherokee Dana 30 with the 89 unit bearings
WJ knuckles with JKS spacers welded on
2001 Ford Sport Trac rotors.

praetorian said:

#1 that link doesn't work

#2 He already has that part installed.

Did you guys red the first post at all?

i just uesd my 91 bearings with the wj rotor worked just fine

I'm having a hard time finding 1999-2001 Cherokee or 2000 to 2005 TJ unit bearings. I think I can get some 1991-1998 ones. Will this work? Correct me if I'm wrong on the bearing years.

I think the difference is that on LP d 30 axles..2k, 2k1 The unit bearing is not as wide (wms - knuckle) That must be the difference you guys are talking about. I'll get a pic real quick.

I know these aren't the unit bearings. However, the taller rotor is off of a hp d 30 whereas the shallower rotor is off of a lp d30 axle. The difference is in the unit bearings as well. The lp bearing is not as wide.

rotor3.jpg

rotors.jpg

Back