• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32s on stock gears?

dmay1969

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...so i got the freebie 90xj. I have a set of 32x10.5, soft 8s...the jeep is stock right now, but going to put on s10 bastard pack.I will be doing some triming. Question is will the stock gears run the 32s? Dana 35 in rear. Looking to put in F150 coils up front...doing a heavy bumper and winch.What year does the coils need to be from?Thats all for now....

Not sure about a D35. I'm running a Chryler 8.25 w/stock gearing in a 98' model.
Fenders are cut and have a 4.5" lift. I run a set of 33's for offroad and a set of 32's on road. The 32's work great if you moderate your gas peddle on interstate hills. If you have a lead foot on the interstate, your overdrive will rebel.

Good luck!

I'm 33's on stock gears, chryco 27 spline 8.25, little sluggish but not too bad, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not in and out of gear on the highway or torque converter is on and off, ur ok. I plan on regearing next winter but I'm happy with it now, I'm sure it could be peppier but I'm in no hurry. Lifes too short to hurry.

No off road problems for me.
Actually, it's kind of funny. My stock 98 Cherokee gears in 4 low are lower than my wife's stock YJ gears in 4 low. :) It runs great down the highway w/32's and still gets better gas milage than her YJ...And to top it off...
The XJ is the one we take trail riding!

Which Trans/gears?

With auto/3.56 it will run OK, no power for passing, forget it. And you wont get over about 65 in any kind of wind without switching down to 3. Milage is not great, but with care its OK. Good news is low rpms on high milage motors. Sometimes higher temps due to lack of power and more advance trying to keep speed up.

just regear. my 32's on 4.56 paid me back allready from reduced gas bill. 31's on 3.55 gears = 13 - 14 MPG, 32's with 4.56 gears = 18 - 20 MPG on the AW4 tranny 2WD. I dont bother logging MPG rates when I drive 4WD since I am wating fuel throwing rock and mud.

Back