• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Change What to use?

Search on here...there are a few good recent threads that discussed this. They will tell you the best type of oil (and filters) to use for our type of motors.

I run Rotella Triple Protection 15W-40. Right amount of zinc levels and high in detergents to clean. Like indyjeepnut said, WIX are good as well as Mobile 1, K&N, even Purelators are good but again...stay away from FRAM.

The Diesel oil also has a higher percentage of organometallic content (Google <ZDDP>,) which we need with our flat-tappet engines. Do not use any oil listed as "Energy Saving" or with the API "Energy Saving" sunburst on the front label!

For filters, I prefer Baldwin or Wix. Wix is usually easier to find.

89xj said:
show the proof in that statement?

I'm sure he was somewhat exaggerating his point but the Fram filter componets tend to breakdown faster and don't filter as well.

Never heard of using diesel truck oil. Might have to look into that. Got 150k on the clock and thing's still goin good, want to keep it that way.

Thanks for all the replies...the weather turned for the worse today so i didn't get it done today like i wanted. I called the last place that i got it done and they said they used 10/30 is that ok or do you guys think i should go to 10/40?

vajeeper said:
Thanks for all the replies...the weather turned for the worse today so i didn't get it done today like i wanted. I called the last place that i got it done and they said they used 10/30 is that ok or do you guys think i should go to 10/40?

How is your oil pressure holding up?

vajeeper said:

My suggestion--In the months that the temps will get to below freezing over-night -use 10w-30,When the weather warms switch to the 15w-40.
Rotella-T and Valvoline max life are what I use now.
Wix,NAPA or purolator filter, oil pressure difference between them is negilable.
Wayne

Anyone interested in a great filter that a Lot of Engine Builders use its a Motorcraft/Ford racing Filter part# FL-1AHP, 500# burst can, Syn-poly Media Silicone Drain back valve and I think 400sq inch of media 15-20 micron. Retail is around $12.00

vajeeper said:
4 guys said to use rotella 15/40 i dont think anyone said 10/40 lol. Rotella is actually pretty cheep too. It is like 10 bucks for a gallon and 2.50 a quart and it is a good solid oil.

my bad garr did say use 10/40

5-90 said:
The Diesel oil also has a higher percentage of organometallic content (Google <ZDDP>,) which we need with our flat-tappet engines. Do not use any oil listed as "Energy Saving" or with the API "Energy Saving" sunburst on the front label!

For filters, I prefer Baldwin or Wix. Wix is usually easier to find.

A SL-rated oil will have the correct amounts of Zinc and Phosphorus to meet our requirements. Its the newer SM oils that don't. But.... SL will slowly start disappearing as the API certifications expire...

But that being said.. no one oil can meet all the needs of all vehicles. My heep gets 10w-40 synthetic, while my van gets a SM rated synth-blend 5w-30.

Still using Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter. Have since breakin and unless someone convinces me otherwise I plan to continue to use them. 10/30 in winter and 10/40 in summer.

mikeforte said:
Still using Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter. Have since breakin and unless someone convinces me otherwise I plan to continue to use them. 10/30 in winter and 10/40 in summer.

Which version? Only the high milage is SL-rated at this point. The others have now switched to a SM-rating...

w_howey said:
Which version? Only the high milage is SL-rated at this point. The others have now switched to a SM-rating...

Bought several cases of SL from Sams back when they were going to go to SM so I have a few cases left. But I don't think that the SM will hurt on a seasoned engine just the low mileage ones. At least that is what I got out of the extensive write up that Ecomike had on here a few months back.
Recently bought some ZDDP to have on hand when I need to go to SM too. But that is a ways down the road as I think I have stockpiled enough SL to last a couple of years.

Last edited:
Mobil m1 301 filter and 10w40 hi-mi for now. This was the first time I used 10w40 and my oil pressure stays b/t 55-75(a lil high for my tastes). I'm gonna try the 10w30 hi-mi and see what the diffs are.

Back