• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new paint strategy

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Okay the idea of stripping to bare metal got shot down so I'm looking at new plan. My objective is to get the old faded/shredded paint off so I get it one color, then after I do a bunch of body work (fender trimming etc), take it in for real paint.

This is my new plan, tell me what you think

120 grit elec sanding wheel until clear coat and top coat is smoothed out

one pass each of 240 and 400 grit

Rustoleum automotive primer

400 grit smoothing

2-4 coats of Rustoleum professional enamel, applied wet, as needed

I'm not going for showroom. All I want is a sturdy paint that will hold up to trails for a year, but that won't piss off the body shop when they strip it for real prime and paint. I'm not even going to fix the door dents first, but instead will repaint them after I come back to work on that stuff later this spring.

What do you think

why the hell would you go do that to a Subaru Impreza? I sure hope its lifted and is a rally racer.

Smittty9785 said:
why the hell would you go do that to a Subaru Impreza? I sure hope its lifted and is a rally racer.
It's not lifted, but he does rally it. This is the only picture I have of it:

nonamebv2.jpg

ehall said:
Okay the idea of stripping to bare metal got shot down so I'm looking at new plan. My objective is to get the old faded/shredded paint off so I get it one color, then after I do a bunch of body work (fender trimming etc), take it in for real paint.

This is my new plan, tell me what you think

120 grit elec sanding wheel until clear coat and top coat is smoothed out

one pass each of 240 and 400 grit

Rustoleum automotive primer

400 grit smoothing

2-4 coats of Rustoleum professional enamel, applied wet, as needed

I'm not going for showroom. All I want is a sturdy paint that will hold up to trails for a year, but that won't piss off the body shop when they strip it for real prime and paint. I'm not even going to fix the door dents first, but instead will repaint them after I come back to work on that stuff later this spring.

What do you think

I plan to use 600 grit on my DA sander for finish sanding of the bodywork and to rough up the clearcoat paint before i spray.

Back